8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 6:16 PM by rutegerporterfield

Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7

rutegerporterfield

Hi!

I captured footage from my DV camera into Windows Movie Maker in the form of a DV-avi. (I use WMM because Premiere crashes when I try to capture DV video). And when I import the AVI into Premiere Pro v.7 the audio won't play in the project window. However, when I scrub the slider back and forth the audio does play (kind of).

I have never had this problem before. I've captured video many times and this never happened.

I tried re-capturing it 6 times, but still the audio doesn't play (except when I scrub).

Is there an option I clicked accidentally?

Any help would be really great.

Thanks a lot!

-R

• 1. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think WMM creates type 1 files and Premiere needs type 2

You might Google for a converter

You might also use the free http://www.headbands.com/gspot to find out the file details, and report back so someone may be able to help

• 2. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            I use WMM because Premiere crashes when I try to capture DV video

I would address this problem first. It should not be happening.

Now, WMM does its Captures as DV-AVI Type I. Usually, these will play/edit fine, but there is a length limit and sometimes, OOS can raise its ugly head.

We this my Project, I'd go back to the Capture issue in PrPro and look for that issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7
              rutegerporterfield Level 1

Ahh... right when you said "Type 1" I realized I had made an ameture mistake. So I quickly downloaded a free converter from this link: http://go.myce.com/?id=49X85&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ulead.com%2Fdownload%2Fdvconverter%2Fdow nload.htm

but it turns out they were Type 2 DV files after all.

As for capturing the video in Premiere, I'd given up hope of that ever working. I'm used to programs not working as they should,

and being forved to implement work-arounds.

But if I could fix that problem, I'd be eternally happy.

When I attach the DV camera w/ tape to my computer via Firewire

then load the capture dialogue in Premiere 7 and click the record icon

half-a-second of video captures before the process crashes

This messge appears: "Recorder Error: Can' Find Timecode During Capture"

And then a second message: "Lost Connection to Device"

Does that sound familiar?

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7

John T Smith wrote:

I think WMM creates type 1 files and Premiere needs type 2

You might Google for a converter

You might also use the free http://www.headbands.com/gspot to find out the file details, and report back so someone may be able to help

I installed that program. Very helpful and interesting. Thanks for the link.

I assumed, like you, that I had simply captured the AVI files as Type 1. But I guess they are Type 2, after all.

I don't know if this helps, but the AVIs play just fine in Quicktime, Windows Media Player, WMM and Winamp.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is the information gspot provided:

*****************************************************************

FILE_NAME                      tape6_raw0001.avi
                FILE_NAME_WITH_PATH            O:\EDITING\In the Woods\Tape 6\clips\tape6_raw0001.avi
                FILE_SIZE                      90,872,392
                CONT_AUDIO_STREAM_COUNT        1
                CONT_BASETYPE                  AVI(.AVI)
                CONT_BYTES_MISSING             0
                CONT_INTERLEAVE_ALIGN         
                CONT_INTERLEAVE_PRELOAD       
                CONT_INTERLEAVE_TIME          
                CONT_SUBTYPE                   OpenDML (AVI v2.0),
                CONT_TOTAL_BITRATE             0
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_AVI1      Resize to 656 x 480 (Use +/- for other target sizes)
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_AVI2      Crop off any non-picture areas, if req'd
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_CVD1      Resize to 360 x 480  ( w:[1/2]  h:[1/1] )
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_CVD2      Trim 4 from each side for 352 x 480
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_DVD1      No resize req'd
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_DVD2      No cropping req'd
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_SVCD1     Resize to 480 x 480  ( w:[2/3]  h:[1/1] )
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_SVCD2     No cropping req'd
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_VCD1      Resize to 360 x 240  ( w:[1/2]  h:[1/2] )
                VIDEO_ASPECT_CONVERT_VCD2      Trim 4 from each side for 352 x 240
                VIDEO_ASPECT_SOURCE_MATCH      DVD
                VIDEO_ASPECT_TYPE_NTSC         NTSC
                VIDEO_ASPECT_TYPE_PAL         
                VIDEO_BITRATE                  28771
                VIDEO_CODEC_NAME               DVC/DV Video
                VIDEO_CODEC_STATUS             Codec(s) are Installed
                VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE               dvsd
                VIDEO_DAR                      1.333
                VIDEO_DURATION                 0:24.291
                VIDEO_FIELDS_PER_SEC           59.940
                VIDEO_FRAME_COUNT              728
                VIDEO_FRAMES_PER_SEC           29.970
                VIDEO_H264                    
                VIDEO_MPEG2                   
                VIDEO_MPEG2_3X2               
                VIDEO_MPEG2_BFF               
                VIDEO_MPEG2_I_L               
                VIDEO_MPEG2_PPF               
                VIDEO_MPEG2_PROG              
                VIDEO_MPEG2_TFF               
                VIDEO_MPEG4                   
                VIDEO_MPEG4_BVOP              
                VIDEO_MPEG4_GMC               
                VIDEO_MPEG4_NVOP              
                VIDEO_MPEG4_QPEL              
                VIDEO_PAR                      0.889
                VIDEO_PICS_PER_SEC             29.970
                VIDEO_QF                       2.778
                VIDEO_SAR                      1.500
                VIDEO_SIZE_X                   720
                VIDEO_SIZE_Y                   480
                AUDIO_BITRATE                  1024
                AUDIO_BITRATE_TYPE            
                AUDIO_CHANNEL_COUNT            2
                AUDIO_CODEC                    PCM Audio
                AUDIO_CODEC_STATUS             No Codec Required
                AUDIO_MPEG_STREAM_ID          
                AUDIO_MPEG_SUBSTREAM_ID       
                AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE              32000

• 5. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7

Sorry, there is one more piece of information I thought I might add....

when I double click the audio track in the timeline and the wave appears in the project monitor,

the audio plays just fine. But when I click back the to the video, no audio plays (except, of course

when I scrub).

This is driving me crazy. It seems so obvious, yet it's maddingly difficult to solve.

Thanks again for entertaining my problem.

-Ruteger

• 6. UPDATE: Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7

I'm going out of my mind. This problem seems so simplistic and ridiculous, yet I have no answers.

I need help!!

Alright, so I've spent the last 24 hours doing everything I can to get the audio in these file working again.

I re-captured the footage using a totally different, new, program in DV-AVI Type 2.

The audio in the new AVIs works in everything except Premier v.7

This is frustrating beyond belief. I've never had a problem playing videos in Premiere before.

I found a thread from a few years back by a fellow who had the same problem I do (i.e. the audio

doesn't work EXCEPT when he scrubbed the slider back and forth). But the guy never got an answer.

I'm starting to think I should just upgrade.

First, are there any ideas, no matter how simple (maybe I just clicked some obvious button?)

or far-out?

Second, if I'm having this problem in v.7, would upgrading to CS4 make a difference?

Third, I have 2gigs of ram, Three brand new external, USB, 1TB hard drives and a

2.0ghz Hyperthreading PC from 2004, which I've kept in really good shape, and I only

use for Audition and Premiere. Will CS4 run on that?

*******optional rant********

The worst part of this is that I'm editing a short film for a friend, for free, and I'm less than enthused

about the project. He has no sense of direction or cinematography, the footage is poorly lighted and

don't get me started on the perpetual handheld jerking and baaad audio. I'm going to spend half my

time removing background noise and clips from the audio track - when I get it working.

Let that be a lesson to anyone with friends who want favors. He shot on two nice broadcast cameras

with boom mics to DAT tape and I assumed he knew what he was doing.

• 7. Re: UPDATE: Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The audio is 32k.  Check your project settings. Check your output channel mapping.

Second, if I'm having this problem in v.7, would upgrading to CS4 make a difference?

If this is a hardware or a settings problem, no.  Can you host a small file that other users can download to see if it works in CS4?

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Help!! AVI audio won't play - Premiere Pro v.7

Premiere Board  Okay. So, dig this.   I've been bumbling around this message board for the last  couple days compaining about an audio problem.   I know I'm not the first person to have this problem, because  I saw another guy post the same symptoms. So for the sake  of posterity I'll explain the problem and how I solved it, and  then I'll get out of your collective hair.   I captured 6 tapes of dv-avi type2 video into windows movie  maker (premiere crashes) from my canon dv camera. Then i  split all the tapes into happy little clips using Scenalyzer.   I imported the video into premiere, but the audio tracks wouldn't play. The .avi files worked fine in every other program, but  premiere wouldn't play the audio.  EXCEPT when I scrubbed the video slider in the project window.  When I scrubbed the slider, the audio would play - clipped.    I consulted the message board and explored all the fine advice  I received. I also tried solutions of my own, including simple  fixes like resetting my equipment, to digging through my asio  drivers.   Still the audio would not play. But since the audio played  when I scrubbed the time slider, I knew it had to be something  obvious or easy to fix.   As a final, yet so simple, effort I loaded the AVIs into after  effects (AE). I wanted to test if it were an adobe-wide problem or just a premiere problem.   The audio didn't work in AE, either.   So I ctrl-tab'd over to Premiere to exit the app, and clicked  "play" to check one last time. And, boffo! The audio channel  worked once again.   So, I don't know what the deal was. I've captured and edited  lots of video, but never has this happened. I don't know why  opening AE suddenly fixed the problem. Maybe it just needed  a jump start.   So, for anyone who encounters this again, open your stuff in after effects (or, perhaps another adobe video program) and  that should do the trick.   Thanks for all the advice. The people on this message board are  kind and patient.   What a pain, for something so simple.   Well, now I'm even less stoked to edit this crap  project. If that's possible. Ever heard of white balance, you  clowns......? I've got a lot to do......