7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 1:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)

kbjorke

I've just brought up a cranking new Win 7 64-bit machine today and thus far almost everything has flowed swimmingly. I can work with AVCHD files easily, can run to AE and PS, etc. All great.

Then this evening I tried a clip that was significantly longer than the otehrs I'd been trying. It's about 10 minutes in a single take. After a couple of minutes, the audio just stops playing. The timeline display shows audio information there -- but it just stops playing any sound, even as the picture continues.

I thought: maybe it's building a preview. So I let it sit for a couple of minutes, then hit play -- same behavior, audio vanishes at the same point in the clip.

Next, I broke out NeoScene and copied the same clip to Cineform. Loaded up the copied file in PP CS4 and found that it played without any issues. All picture, all audio.

Any suggestions, other than converting everything to Cineform (I bought this machine so I wouldn''t have to!!)?

I shot that clip on a Canon HF S11 @ "PF30" -- which is still stored at 60i in the AVCHD file. Could this be the culprit? (And if so, what to do about it?)

Thanks,

kb

• 1. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

AVCHD needs a real workhorse with enough power. Say an i7-920 overclocked. If you still have a core-2-duo or quad core, likely it lacks the muscle to handle that kind of footage. Add to that memory setup and disk setup, and your system may not be up to the task. Cineform is far more lenient and does not require the muscle that native AVCHD requires at the cost of triple the file size.

• 2. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
            D&R Films Level 1

This is a known problem and has nothing to do with your system. See this thread. Many have reported it has to do with conforming audio. Just wait until it's done conforming *before* you use or view the clip. Then if it still doesn't work, just save project and restart PPro.

Same thing happens with my HMC-150 and HDC-SD9. This is on a home built i7 920 @ 3.6ghz with 12GB DDR3, Nvidia, BDR, 2 TB of raid for video.

It's NOT your system, it's Premiere but can be worked around.

• 3. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
              Joker B Level 1

Thanks -- I'll try the simply re-start/re-import and see how those go.

Actually Harm, I *do* have a i7-920 with 12GB of RAM & multiple reasonably-quick HDD's

• 4. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
                Joker B Level 1

(hmm, I seem to have two accounts on here!)

• 5. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
                  kbjorke Level 1

Sure enough - restarted and re-imported and as long as I didn't hit "play" before it had time to load, everything worked perfectly. Thx!

• 6. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
                    ElJayBronx Level 1

My setup is as follows:

Premiere: Pro CS4 updated to current.

Computer: Quad core (HPM9060N tricked out with 8G RAM, 1.5T primary disc, Win7 Ultimate 64-bit)

Cameras: Sony HDR-SR5 (Hard-drive early AVCHD c. 2007. This camera is basically retired but I am still doing post on some files created with this camera - the new one just came out Mar. 7...)

Sony HDR-CX550V (absolute jewel of a camera; top-of-the-line consumer; 64G flash memory, somewhat tweaked and updated; allows saving of sound as 2-track instead of forcing 5.1).

I produce videos for small opera companies in New York City. My standard product is a one-camera shoot of the opera divided by acts, so I will have files approaching 1-1 1/2 hours. I have found Premiere support to be clueless and/or in denial about some of the problems with these files which almost exclusively have to do with audio (the video editing window looks horrible but the final product is excellent; I think this is being remedied in CS5...)

The usual problem is that the audio drops out at some point. I'm sure that I should put a "do not open til Xmas" sign on the thing and not mess with it while it's conforming and that MAYBE that would stop the "silent-movie" effect at the end of the files.

I have found an effective work-around: CLOSE Premiere, LOCATE AND DELETE the .cfa and .pek files associated with the offending clip, OPEN the .m2ts file in Soundbooth. Save the file as a .wav; re-open PPro, unlink and delete the original soundtrack and replace with the .wav. Hope you haven't edited the video first! Since the application has the same hooks as PPro but uses WAY less resources (and it won't LET you try to mess with the file while it's conforming!) it invariably finishes out the result.

This adds significant time to the workflow. Shame on Adobe for not having fixed this (and other anomalies surrounding AVCHD) during the reign of CS4; let's hope they get it right NEXT version!

• 7. Re: Audio Drops Out on Long Clip: Win 7 - AVCHD - CS4 (PP4.1)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that "Do Not Open Until Christmas," is great advice. I just let it happen, and go get a cup of coffee. When I return, all Conforming and PEK generation is completel

Like you, I feel that recording in 2-channel is a wise move. Most users start with that 5.1 Audio, and then spend countless hours trying to get rid of all sorts of signals, that they do not want. I see more on the PrElements forum using the 5.1, 'cause it's sold as being a neat feature. In their case, PrE does not encode to AC3 DD 5.1 SS - the SurCode plug-in is not available for it, so they end up with 2-channel in a mix-down anyway. Some will just not give up on the 5.1 and fight the spurious signals. Oh well.

Good luck,

Hunt