5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 2:33 PM by jkb242

Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation

jkb242 Level 1

I have been asked by a client to provide a training video which can be imported to the iTouch 3rd generation devices for employees.  The idea is for the employees to download the video from the company intranet then load it to their iTouch via iTunes.

I tried both templates inPreimer CS4,  for Apple TV and large iPod but once rendered, neither file could be imported from iTunes to the iTouch.

I searched the internet and even tried to find a resource from the iTunes store in submitting contenet directly to iTunes video podcast which I did a couple of years ago for another client, but I could not find their standards listed any longer. 

There is little available in terms of actual specifications of the video frame rate, max bit rate, progressive, interlaced, wide format (430X280) 4:3, and the proper audio settings. Again the objective is to enable the employees to install these video themselves. If the format is not correct, iTunes will fail the sync or download to the local iTouch device an so far, I'm batting 0.

Some employees may have the older ipods which seem to be a lot less particular so my focus is the newer 3G iTouch where I have been having no luck.

Could someone please assist.

Thanks so very much!   

• 1. Re: Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

CABAC needs to be turned off when encoding H.264 for the new generation iPods, and AFAIK there's no way to do that in Pr.

Export from Pr as a Photo-JPEG .mov file and import that into Quicktime Pro (30 or 40 bucks) for encoding to iPod-friendly .mp4 files.  We can talk about settings in QT Pro if you decide to go that route.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation
            jkb242 Level 1

Thank you Jeff as always.. This is a very subtle unknown or it seems to me.  With the iTouch and iPhone products becoming so vastly popular (it's kinda of scary even--you what that does to price) I would have thought that there would have been a direct output from PP CS4 for these devices.

Much appreicate your response.  I never even thougth about using QT Pro, thanks!

• 3. Re: Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You're welcome.

I would have thought that there would have been a direct output from PP CS4 for these devices.

There is, but It may not be as easy as one would think.  Sorenson Squeeze has exposed the CABAC setting in its MainConcept H.264 encoder, but not in Squeeze's Apple AVC H.264 encoder, and Apple's own codec as exported from Squeeze won't sync with the new iPods.

There's more to this mobile device encoding than meets the eye, even for the folks who are supposed to know what they're doing.

And the conspiracy theorist in me suspects that Apple has created a lot of this confusion on purpose.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation
                jkb242 Level 1

Right on my thoughts exactlyI just did not want to say that on the forum.  And along those same lines, funny that all the touches and pods all sell for essentially the same price...it's left over from the old days called Fair Trade which turned out to be only fair for the manufacturersnot the comsumera way to simply eliminate competition and keep the price up.  That was in the 70's. Later it was determined that it's really price fixing and restraint of tradea violation of anti-trust laws.  Apple is trying to see if it will work for them and so far, they are getting away with.  Bad Apple-Rotten Appleshame!

• 5. Re: Correct Media Format for iTouch 3rd Generation
                  jkb242 Level 1

Jeff,

By the way, I found another program that seems to do a pretty good job at taking standard output files from Premier AVI or MPG files and converting them to the correct format for the iTouch or iPhone.

It's a convertor by Xilsoft which converts standard outputs to so many different formats it's pretty incredible and a few of the canned settings are specifically for the iPhone or iTouch. The program works great!