22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 2:48 PM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?

brouillon

Hi,

I im new to Premiere Pro CS4, and I wand to know what is the best option to install it on my computer.

My computer is like this :

Mother board : Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
      Proc. : Intel Core i7 860
      Memory : 8Go : Crucial 2 X 4 Go (2 x Kit 2x 2 Go) DDR3-SDRAM PC10600 CL9
      Graphic  : ASUSTeK EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) - 512 Mo DVI/HDMI - PCI Express (ATI Radeon HD 4350)

C: System drive :  Crucial M225 - SSD 64 Go 64 Mo 2.5" Serial ATA II
      F: application drive :  Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo Serial ATA II
      D: data drive : RAID0 with: 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s - 1 To 7200 RPM 32 Mo Serial ATA II 

Systeme : Vista Intégrale SP1 64 bits

Cooling : Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
      Alim : Corsair VX450W - Alimentation 450W ATX 12V 2.2
      E: DVD : Samsung SH-S223L/BEBE LightScribe 
      IEEE : Contrôleur hôte Texas Instruments IEEE 1394 compatible OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface)

Should I install Premiere CS4 (and all the collection) on the SSD (system drive with 30Go free) ?

Or on the 1To drive.

I think I have to keep the RAID0 only for previews.

Should I change the system pagefile from C: (SSD) to F: (Single disk) ? or D: (RAID0)  ?

Thanks for reply,

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Always install to the C: (System) drive.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I would install the CS4 suite on your applications drive.  I have not tried your configuration but if you look at my PPBM Benchmarks Results page you will see my (disappointing) results trying to speed up Premiere Pro with a SSD.  You can use the benchmark to try different configurations and see for yourself.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
              brouillon Level 1

but I read in system requirements that : it 'cannot install on flash-based storage devices' ???

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Which system requriements?  Adobe's?  And does it say why?  As far as I know, SSDs act no differerntly than HDDs at the software level.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Install OS & programs on your C drive. Nothing else. Use your other drives for projects and media. Use the raid0 for media and the other drive for projects and scratrch.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                    brouillon Level 1

Yes Jim Adobe : http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

Thanks, Harm Millaard, what about system pagefile and logs ?

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I would put the pagefile on the raid0 and the log files on the single 1 TB disk. I would also set min and max size for the pagefile to around 8 GB, so it is fixed in size and the first file on your raid0 drive to avoid fragmentation.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                        brouillon Level 1

Thanks a lot!

I hope the small 64 Go will be sufficent for system and applications.

I remember the time where we was 10 users on a computer with 8 kilo bytes of memory and a big 30 Megabytes hard disk.... :-)

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

On my SSD with CS4 Production Premium and essentially nothing else it is 30GB. And my first hard drive that I installed was 5 MB 8" drive.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                            brouillon Level 1

Is there a way to change at one time the diretory where system log files are stored:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs or have I to change them one by one ?

(61 files actually)

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

The flash-based storge devices they're talking about are removable thumb drives and memory cards, not SSDs.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                WonderBoy1732

Harm.. could you clarify for me ? (im building a similar setup and are about to order the HDD)

SDD drive = OS & CS4

Raid0 = media ? the exported files or the source media for CS4 ? or should the be on the same drive ?

Single drive = CS4 Project and scratch.. what is scratch ?

Single drive = Logfiles.. windows logfiles or CS4 logfiles ?

Single drive = Pagefile ?

Single drive = backup..

Can you corret my setup a bit - thanks ?

/Lars 

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Lars,

SSD : check

Raid0: Media and pagefile

Single disk: poject & scratch (indexed, conformed and peak files)

Single disk: exports

Single disk: backup and logfiles (I never bother about logfiles)

This already amounts to one SSD and 5 hard disks. If you have more disks available I suggest to add 1 disk to your raid0 or even 2 and then configure it as a raid3 or raid5.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                    WonderBoy1732 Level 1

Harm, thank you for replying.. i have a couple more questions if you dont mind.

After reading alot the last couple of days about making a CS4 rig i have put together the following:

IntelCore I7 920 Box LGA1366

Asus P6T Motherboard

1 x Intel 80 GB X25-M Mainstream SSD 34nm Product Line

4 x WD 250 GB SATAII-300 (Fluid) - 7200 RPM / 16MB,  (NCQ) – Caviar RE3 (RAID Edition)
                                    2 x Seagate 750 GB - SATAII-300 - 7200 RPM / 32MB,Barracuda 7200.12

ScytheMugen 2 CPU Cooler

Corsair HX3X12G 1333 C9 6 x 2048 MB DDR3 PC10666

Samsung Syncmaster 2343BW
                                    Antec Performance one p183
                                    GFX Nvidia 8800 GT

PSU ???

The raid 3 / 5 sounds like a great idea.. have been reading up on raid types, cant figure out which is better for this purpose 3 og 5 .. maybe it doesnt matter ? i planned on using the intel raid controller on this motherboard.. but have read somwhere that to use raid5 you need a proper hardware controller The Intel Raid that comes on their "R" chipsets(ie ICH10"R" ) cannot handle Raid 5 effectively.. can you confirm this ?

So maybe it would be better to do raid1 so that the OS is able to use "Split Seeks" feature ? should i get the Deluxe V2 version of this board to get better raid controlling or does it not matter ?

Could you comment on my choice of disks ? .. is it the right SSD ? should the 4 raid disk be something else from WD to get better performance.. with 32 mb cache instead maybe ? 

I would like to overclock the CPU, and by doing this i guess my choice of Memory is not going to be good enough is it ? can you tell me what type to get ? Kingston or OCZ instead also maybe ?

Is my choice of CPU-cooler sufficient to do overclocking or is there better ones out there ? 

If a good PSU or better monitor comes to mind, please let me know aswell :-) ?

Thanks alot!

/Lars

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      cant figure out which is better for this purpose 3 og 5

Definitely RAID 3.  Working with large sequential reads and writes, RAID 3 is the best option.  RAID 5 will shine in a server environment, where there are lots of smaller, random reads/writes.

(Plus, RAID 3's performance hit is much smaller if a rebuild should ever be necessary, whereas a RAID 5 could slow you down so much you won't be able to work until the rebuild is finished.)

i planned on using the intel raid controller on this motherboard.

I don't believe any mobo chips offer RAID 3.  Few add-in cards as well.  Areca seems to be the only one who offers a RAID 3 option.  Fortunately, their cards are generally very good (and fast).

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Lars,

You just posed too many questions to answer in one go.

Basic ingredients are good. The Scythe Mugen2 is quite good to handle overclocking. An alternative might be the Noctua NH-U14 SE. No problem there. I would have a second look at your memory. CL9 is not really top-of-the-bill. If you consider overclocking, you may have a look at the OCZ Platinum XTC OCZ3P1600LV12GS, which is rated at CL7.

I have a difficult time to answer your questions about disk setup and raids. Do you already have the 4 x 250 G WD disks? What is your intended setup with both the 4 x 250 and the 2 x 750 disks?

Why go for a relatively outdated 8800 video card and not for a GTX285?

Although Jim's statements have to be taken with a grain of salt (he has never proven he really knows how to build a fast system and he failed the cut on the PPBM benchmark, etcetera) he has a point about raid. The integrated ICHR10 chip is quite adequate for raid0 or raid1, as is the Marvell chip on some ASUS P6T mobo's, but nothing more. If you really want to use raid arrays, there is no option but an Areca ARC card, preferably the 1680-iX series. It is the Rolls Royce amongst the raid controllers, but it will put a dent in your budget. Calculate around $ 850 excluding BBM (battery backup module).

If you can explain a bit more what your intentions are with your disks (which do you have, which do you intend to buy), I can try to help you further.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

For some background info on raids, go here: http://www.acnc.com/04_01_03.html

I use raid30, which is a simple striping of two or more raid3 arrays, like striping two or more disks will give you raid0.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                            WonderBoy1732 Level 1

Thank you guys!

Sorry about the lack of information... i will clarify..

First off.. i decided to go with the memory you suggested harm.. looks good and is only 100$ extra..

Second, i have to skip the thought off making other raid configurations than the ones i can do with the onboard raid controller.. (850$ i to big of a dent for my budget ;-))

The Gt 8800 is the card i have already, which i will hold on to a little while longer.. from what i read its not the most important compontent when trying to get CS4 to run smoothly!

I have no disks right now that i want to use.. so they where all suggestions.. so what i want to do is something like this:

1) Have the best and smallest SDD disk for my OS...  is the one i suggested from intel ok ?

2) have some sort of raid 0 or 1 setup with 2,3 or 4 smaller disks for sourcefiles / mediacache (put in WD because i thought they where better for raid) any suggestions on which disks to use ?

3) Single disk for projects and scratch... 500 GB Seagate maybe ?

4) Single disk for exports... 500 GB Seagate maybe ?

5) Single disk for Backup.. Seagate 1TB  ?

Any help is much appreciated!!

/Lars

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

2) have some sort of raid 0 or 1 setup with 2,3 or 4 smaller disks for sourcefiles

This really isn't necessary for most people.  A single large disk will be plenty fast enough for editing camera formats.  RAID is really only needed using Uncompressed HD.  Given the cost of a decent RAID 3 card, I'd skip that and just get a good size single drive.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Lars,

I don't know your budget, so I may be overdoing it, but this would be my approach with your intentions in mind:

C: OS & programs, Intel X25-M Postville SSDSA2MH080G2C1 80GB

D: Media & pagefile, 2 x 1 TB hard disk in raid0 in the ICHR10

E: 1 TB (or smaller) single disk for projects and scratch

F: 1 TB single disk for backup and export

For disks you have three often mentioned choices: WD Caviar Black (allegedly not the best option for raids, the WD RE is supposed to be better), Samsung F3 (the best bang-for-the-buck currently) and the Seagate 7200.12 (which seems to be much better than the disastrous 7200.11 series).

Beware that Intel has withdrawn the latest firmware update for the Postville SSD's with support for the 'TRIM' function, because of complaints of rendering the SSD inoperable or slowing it down considerably. So do not look elsewhere until Intel has released improved TRIM support.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                                  WonderBoy1732 Level 1

Allright thanks..

Raid  or not.. i will get myself: 4 x 1TB SATAII-300, 32MB / 7200RPM, Fluid FDB - SpinPoint F3

I Have found the SSD disk at a resonable price as well.. Do you think the SSD concept contributes to running CS4 more smoothly ? or is it just the overall OS feeling that improves ?

Last thing i need before the setup is complete is a PSU which doesnt make to much noise that can sustain this setup.. anything special to look for here, or should i just pick something around 500 watts ?

/Lars

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro on SSD or Hard drive ?
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If you look at the PC Buying guide, you will find a section devoted to PSU's with a very handy link for a PSU calculator: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

SSD's will - according to early reports - improve boot time and the feeling of responsiveness when loading programs. Also, initial reports were rather critical about the performance degradation over time, which should be overcome with newer controllers and the TRIM function. However, for editing it make no discernable difference, because the bulk of the work is either CPU or data disk related and the SSD is not a data disk.

The bottom line is: An SSD for OS will not make any discernable impact while editing.