8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 7:32 AM by xbytor2

Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4

Pamela E Jones Level 1

Hi

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I really would like to know the answer.  What happens to jpegs when they are converted to RAWs?  Do they lose any detail when they are converted back again?  The reason I'm asking is that I want to convert jpegs to RAW in CS4, that were taken on a point and shoot camera - with no RAW facility?  I know that all the pictures start out as RAWSs and are then compressed into jpegs inside the camera, but I'm not sure if this only applies to pictures that have been taken on a DSLR with a RAW facility.  I have a Nikon D80 and take pictures in RAW, but now want to edit older pictures taken with a different camera.

I have some old pictures taken on a Sony Cybershot digital camera, that need some serious editing (taken long before I had CS4) and I was wondering if I could convert them to RAWs and if so, will the conversion from jpeg to RAW and back again to jpeg, cause them to lose detail?

Hope someone out there knows the answer - if you understand the question, that is!!

Pam

• 1. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't convert JPGs to camera-type RAWs in Photoshop, like a CR2 or NEF.  Photoshop RAW is something different than a camera-type RAW file and unless you have a specific reason to use Photoshop RAW, then don't. 

Since you are starting out editing JPGs from a point-and-shoot camera, I wouldn't worry about saving as anything other than highest quality (12) JPGs.  If you are really concerned about it, then save as TIF or PSD, but the size of your images will increase dramatically for minimal gain.

• 2. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
            John Joslin Level 6

The description "raw" means what it says: raw data. In this case it is not an acronym but an adjective.

You can make a JPEG out of a raw file but you can't do the reverse! You can edit JPEGs in ACR though.

As ssprengel says, there is unfortunately a format called Photoshop Raw (*.RAW) just to confuse everyone.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
              Anita Dennis Level 1

Here is more information on raw formats: About camera raw files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
                Pamela E Jones Level 1

Thanks Anita

The link you sent me is very helpful.  I shall look at this page quite often - there is so much to learn about RAW.

Regards

Pam Jones

• 5. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
                  xbytor2 Level 4

What you want to do is convert your jpg's to DNG files. Do all of your parametric editing in ACR and Be Happy. No loss of detail. Lots of great tools.

When you need to you can export the file as a 16bit psd (or tif) and do more edits in Photoshop if needed. I've got a Nikon Coolpix P&S which only generates

jpg's so this is the route I take with that camera. I also do this when friends/family send pics that they want me to 'fix'. I only do a conversion back to jpg as a final step,

just like printing.

Note that you are not re-creating a non-existent camera raw file. You are creating a new one based on a jpg image instead of sensor data. The quality is not the

same but it is far better than editing the jpg directly in photoshop.

• 6. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
                    John Joslin Level 6

xbytor2 wrote:

What you want to do is convert your jpg's to DNG files. Do all of your parametric editing in ACR

What advantage does this method offer over just editing the JPG in ACR.

Just curious.

• 7. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
                      Pamela E Jones Level 1

Hi

Thanks very much.  That's a great help and just what I needed to know.  I had an idea it would improve the pictures, but wasn't sure.  I will do as you say and compare the two pictures.

Thank again

Pam

• 8. Re: Converting Jpegs to RAW in CS4
                        xbytor2 Level 4

You could just edit the JPGs in ACR. I don't know if there is any appreciable difference in image quality versus a JPG converted to DNG. It's probably something I should test.

For me, it is more of a workflow issue. I always do my initial photo edits in ACR then move to PS. Editing JPGs directly in ACR was always awkward. I would occasionally forget

that the image was a JPG/ACR image and wonder why Preview or Irfan kept showing me the wrong image. I don't have that problem with DNGs. I also would never accidentally

email a set of DNG files to some who was expecting finished JPGs.