10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2017 9:26 AM by jessical80945867

White shapes not exporting as jpeg

Gex14286 Level 1

Hello there. I'm having a problem exporting illustrator files as jpegs. The problem is sometimes (but not everytime) objects -compound or not compound- with a white fill and no stroke will not export with the jpeg. When I save as a pdf everything is fine. I've also tried changing the white objects subtly to include some other colors but that hasnt worked. I am exproting with a size 7 image quality, cmyk mode, screen depth, anti alias and embedded. Any help would be much appreciated since I am exporting many files per day. Thanks!

• 1. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JPEG doesn't like CMYK color mode. Try with RGB and see if you don't have better luck.

3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
            Gex14286 Level 1

yes that does it, changing the document color mode to rgb. Thanks much!

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
              Scott Falkner Level 5

Whatever gave you that silly idea? JPEG is fine with CMYK.

Check to see that the mystery objects are not set to have an overprinting fill in the Attributes panel. That’s a common source of frustration with disappearing white objects. If that’s not it, look to see that they are not on non-printing layers. Also make sure your Document Color Mode (Edit menu) is CMYK.

Why JPEG? If you’re exporting as CMYK you’re making print files. If you’re making files for a printer, then PDF is a much more suitable format. If the printer requires a raster file, then give them either a TIFF or the finger. I suggest the latter.

3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But there are vast number of applications that don't understand CMYK jpg files. That you can create and use them in Adobe products don't mean that they will function fully outside of Adobe. But you're right a TIFF or a PDF would be a much better choice.

• 5. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                  Gex14286 Level 1

Hmm they are set to overprinting fill. How did it get this way and how do I prevent that from happening in the future? I dont want to check and see for each object every time I want to export something.

As for the jpeg, thats just the format the company that I work for wants. What is happening is I do computer mock ups of custom garment ordrers and they send them to the client for approval. Not exactly in the position to overhaul how they do things here but is there a better format? And I realize that if the client is viewing them on their screen it would probably be best to send them as rgb but sometimes they print them out and all that so you get the picture.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                    Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Gex,

Hmm they are set to overprinting fill. How did it get this way and how do I prevent that from happening in the future? I dont want to check and see for each object every time I want to export something.

Just by keeping the Overprint Fill (and Stroke) in the Attributes palette unticked.

If something is to be used for both print and web/screen, CMYK is the primary Color Mode to work in.

• 7. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                      Gex14286 Level 1

Thank you for your help everyone you are all very generous to spend your time answering questions for nothing in return

• 8. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                        Scott Falkner Level 5

Illustrator won’t let you set a process white fill or stroke to Overprint. But it will let you change a coloured object to white, without altering the Overprint setting. I commonly run into this problem with logos that were originally black. A production-poor designer (nothing wrong with that, by the way) will open the black logo, set the fill to white, and save as Logo_REV.ai. That’s the reason we have production artists, and why we are paid almost half as much as designers.

There is no preference to have Illustrator turn the overprint off automatically, and there is no warning that the overprint setting remains and will cause problems.

Oh, wait, that’s not quite true. There’s this:

Screen-shot-2009-10-26-at-3.10.40-PM.png

Pathetic. Not the kind of professionalism you would expect from version 14 of an industry leading application. Sadly, that is the kind of performance I have come to expect from Adobe.

• 9. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                          Qusain Level 1

Thanks Jacob

• 10. Re: White shapes not exporting as jpeg
                            jessical80945867 Level 1

Life saver! Thank you.