9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 12:18 AM by Berra1977

animated slideshow?

gabrielaVzla Level 1

I´ve gotten my animations to work, but now I´m having trouble going through a series (more than two) states.

I guess this would be an action sequence? Please help. I just want to make a simple slideshow of 3 or more images.

Thanks!

gabriela

• 1. Re: animated slideshow?
          Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Gabriela,

There's no easy way to make a slideshow that repeats forever, but you can create a simple one-time slideshow using a custom component and an action sequence.  I've attached a very basic example.  The way it works is:

• All slideshow images are contained in a custom component that has one state for each image.  All the transitions for the slideshow are within this custom component (transitions between its various states).
          • Outside the custom component is a button that starts the slide show
          • The button plays an action sequence that orchestrates the slide show timing.  The action sequence "advances" the state of the slideshow by changing the custom component's state to show the next image.  (The pauses/gaps in the action sequence have to take into account that the custom component state change includes animation -- so with a 1-second transition animation and a 2-second gap in the action sequence, the actual time the image is visible without animation is 2 - 1 = 1 second).

Hope that helps!

- Peter

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: animated slideshow?
            gabrielaVzla Level 1

Thanks.

you're awesome.

/g

• 3. Re: animated slideshow?
              gabrielaVzla Level 1

Hello Peter,

I´m having trouble opening the zip files. Getting a corruption error. Do you think you can try putting them up again please? ....maybe as a rar this time.

Thanks!

gabriela

• 4. Re: animated slideshow?
                gabrielaVzla Level 1

HELP please. I need to get a hold on converting my slideshow to a custom component.

Thanks in advance.

gabriela

• 5. Re: animated slideshow?
                  acath Level 4

Hi Gabriela,

Did you try Peter's method? Where'd you get stuck?

-Adam

• 6. Re: animated slideshow?
                    gabrielaVzla Level 1

I understand the explanation... It sounds like just what I need, but I wasn´t able to open the zip file.

Got a corrupt file error message.

I´ve been able to simulate a slideshow on a single page with a simple action sequence on start up, and a bunch of fade in/ fade outs or movements. But the problem I am having now is embedding these slideshows into a larger navigation structure. Also, the action sequence seems to be limited to 30 seconds.. any way to extend the time on this?

Thanks,

gabriela

• 7. Re: animated slideshow?
                      Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Gabriela,

The original ZIP opens ok on my computer, but here's a new one just in case.  Bear in mind that you can't open this file directly in Flash Catalyst -- you have to open the ZIP on your desktop and copy out the .FXP file from within it, then open that file in Catalyst.

From your latest email it sounds like you've gotten the basic idea of how to do this though.

Re length: There shouldn't be any limitation... the length of timeline you can see when zoomed out all the way is limited by the width of your screen, but you can move timeline actions even further out in time by scrubbing the Delay setting in the Properties panel.

Re integrating into larger navigation: I'm not 100% sure what problem you're having, but one thing that's tricky is that there's no way to stop an action sequence once it's playing.  If you hide the slideshow when the user navigates elsewhere, it will keep playing while invisible -- though that doesn't seem like a big deal.  If you want the slideshow to stay visible but stop animating when the user navigates elsewhere, that's where it gets interesting.  Let me know if that's what you need to do -- there are some tricks that might help in that case.

- Peter

• 8. Re: animated slideshow?
                        gabrielaVzla Level 1

You know, I still could not get the file to open on my PC at work, but then I went home and opened it on my Macbook Pro. No problems at all. I noticed in general FC seems to be a lot faster on my Mac.

Thanks a lot. Its exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers

• 9. Re: animated slideshow?
                          Berra1977 Level 1

We have created an action sequence "SLIDESHOW" with a series of photos. The idea is also to have a "Auto Play" button.

Check this site for example): http://www.derekhudson.com/

Anyways, the problem is that we want the action sequence to stop when either the regular NEXT/PREVIOUS button is clicked or the "STOP SLIDESHOW" button is clicked.

Is there any way of achieving this i Flash Catalyst or Falsh Builder.

Thanks in advance!