2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:09 PM by y2036

Performance Problem on Windows, OS X o.k.!

y2036

Hi,

I was just ready with programming a coverflow that will run on a windows touchscreen terminal in a museum. I am developing with OS X and FDT and the application runs smoothly on OS X, but when I testet it on both Windows and Linux, I realized that the animations look broken.

In the application a group of 500x800px Bitmaps is tweened or just moved (same problem), even if I drag the application window there appears a strange effect... The bitmaps are flickering and it seems as if they are build line by line like on tv!? It is realy weird, I tried to switch Bitmap smoothing on and off, but switching it on only made it worse... System activity is normal and I really have no idea where to start searching. Can it be a hardware problem? I had to increase the framerate to 120 to make TweenMax run smoothly, but lowering doesn't seem to help, either...

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you very much!
      Chris

• 1. Re: Performance Problem on Windows, OS X o.k.!
          rjs23

You might want to update your video card driver on Windows... Old or incorrect video card drive can affect performance in a negative way.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Performance Problem on Windows, OS X o.k.!
            y2036 Level 1

Thanks for your thoughts, i spent nearly the whole day figuring out why this effect appears and I realized it is gone on the new "Windows 7", probably also on Vista but I could not test it. Linux is the worst, in XP I could not find a way to solve the problem.

The problem is also known as tearing and has something to do with v-sync and the different frequencies of the monitor and the Flash/Air Movie. Fortunately this effect does not appear on Windows 7, where the Air Apllication will finally run! OS X has also no problem with tearing.