25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2009 9:39 PM by skijaq

Laptop hardware question??

skijaq

I currently have a dell M1210 with 2 gb of ram and a T5600 @1.83GHz processor. Premiere elements 8 runs slowly and it takes forever to actually save a movie. I am looking at upgrading to the new XPS 16 with either an i7720 Qm or and i7820 Qm and 4 gb of Ram. In numerous discussion it is recomended to use three hard drives to handle the files. I plan on using a 256 GB SSD hard drive as the primary one. Would I be better off to invest in the Express card SSD memory and go with the slightly slower processor or should I upgrade ram etc.How should I priorize the hardware?? I do not have unlimited funds.

• 1. Re: Laptop hardware question??
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Assuming a basic minimum of three drives (System, Projects/Scratch, Media), the three priorities in order are:

CPU

Memory

Storage (more and bigger)

• 2. Re: Laptop hardware question??
            skijaq Level 1

How do I manage 3 drives with a laptop?? Will having some extra memory in

the express card slot and the main one suffice?? I analyze the ski videos

generated in motion analysis software and often do all this in remote areas

- mountain glaciers in summer - and need the system to be portable and

durable

• 3. Re: Laptop hardware question??
              Jim_Simon Level 9

How do I manage 3 drives with a laptop?

You get a desktop instead.

The idea here is a minimum ideal scene.  Better than that is great.  Less than that will still work, but possibly not as well.  Laptops, by default, will generally be in the "less than" category.  Still, the above rule applies.  If you can't get a laptop with three internal drives, get one with a couple of eSATA connections.

• 4. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What format is your media?

I Have never completely ascribed to the three drive requirement, In the past (before CS3 and CS4) I have operated very satisfactorily with two drives one 7200 rpm drive internally to a notebook and one eSATA 7200 rpm externally.  With two good SSD drives I think you could get along moderately well.  If your laptop has a external eSATA port or if you put a dual ported eSATA express card in and try it out with just two drives you could always add a third drive if you so desire or use that third port for archiving once you are off the mountain

• 5. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I have operated very satisfactorily with two drives

As have I.  You work with what you have sometimes.

The idea here is that three drives is a recommended minimum.  You can always do better, and you can also get away with less.  Three is sort of a happy middle ground where performance will be really good without killing your budget.

• 6. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                    skijaq Level 1

Thanks for the input - my media is in mpeg 2AVHC I think and I am recording

in XP+ on a canon.

I have obtained the SSD express card memory and it didn't really speed

things up at all. I have the program on my internal hard drive as well as

the video itself. I wrote the movie to the express card memory. It still

took over 20 min to save 5.5 min of video. When I looked at the resource

monitor it show the processor at basically 100% all the time and the hard

drive (the internal one??) doesn't seem to be running all that hard. My

assumption from this is that the processor is the limiter?? I am not all

that knowledgeable in regards to 2 drives or 3 drives or what to even put

where so any input in that regard would also be appreciated if I am missing

something major.

Thanks again

JJ

• 7. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                      skijaq Level 1

Thanks Jim

How do you arrange the drives - what do you put where. I think that I can

arrange 3 drives if I use the express card memory as one; the internal as

another and put another SSD one on the USB / e sata connection (to get this

I need to get another laptop) I actually think that my processor is the

limiter when it tries to convert / save the movie - it is a dual core 5600

at 1.83 ghz. I am certainly learning a lot about computers as a result of

buying one program. It all seemed much quicker and easier when I simply

downloaded from the mini dv tapes in .avi without having to convert

everything all the time.

JJ

• 8. Re: Laptop hardware question??

Your AVCHD requires all the CPU power that you can throw at it.  That will be your limit on satisfaction with a new laptop

• 9. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                          skijaq Level 1

Thanks Bill

JJ

• 10. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                            Jim_Simon Level 9
                            How do you arrange the drives - what do you put where.

From post 1:

"(System, Projects/Scratch, Media)"

I think that I can arrange 3 drives if I use the express card memory as one; the internal as another and put another SSD one on the USB / e sata connection

That does not sound like a good arrangement at all.  SDDs might be good for the System drive (OS and Programs only), but not really big enough for Projects (300GB or more) or Media (1TB+).  If you need a Laptop, look at one with a couple of eSATA ports built in.  This will allow the use of external drives with all the speed of an internal.

• 11. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              I do not have unlimited funds.

and the mention of AVCHD and disk requirements almost rules out a laptop. You would create a serious WIN-WIN situation for yourself by forgetting about a laptop and getting a desktop.

1. Much faster

2. Half the price or less

3. No storage headaches

4. Better screen workarea

5. Better ergonomics

etc.

• 12. Re: Laptop hardware question??

Harm, sometime facts get lost in a longer thread

skijaq wrote:

I analyze the ski videos generated in motion analysis software and often do all this in remote areas - mountain glaciers in summer - and need the system to be portable and durable
                                • 13. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Correct Bill, but I still wonder about wall outlets on a summer glacier to feed a laptop and 2 external eSATA drives. It is hardly doable on batteries in low temperatures.

• 14. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                    Jim_Simon Level 9

I have to agree with Harm on this one.  Power seems a given requirement.  In which case, a desktop would still be doable, and offer the mentioned advantages.  I used to haul mine around to figure skating competitions.  It works.

• 15. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                      skijaq Level 1

Good afternoon Guys

It is very interesting to see how the conversations go around - this is my

first time in a forum. Trust me a desktop will not work - I travel

extensively and there is no way on earth I am going to haul a desktop 24 km

over 2 mountain passes to a back country hut. We do have solar power at the

site so we can easily power laptops etc.

I also travel extensively all over the world doing this same thing.

So I acknowledge that a desk top may be the best bet but given that this

whole thing needs to travel regularly and be very durable what is the best

compromise.

I am looking at a new laptop with an Intel i7 processor an SSD hard drive

and another SSD memory source in the express card slot. For extensive video

editing I would need a desk top at home but all that I really need is

something that can download different video formats, clip a few segments out

and turn what's left into a movie in .avi that I can play back in another

software. If this didn't take 30 minutes to produce 5 minutes of video it

would be great. It sounds like as long as the processor is adequate things

should be significantly speedier than what I currently have.

Any specific recommendations as to hardware configurations etc??

Thanks again for the input!!

JJ

• 16. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                        Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

The producer I work with edits all the time on his laptop in the CS4 suite.  His notebook was purchased from now, out-of business Xtreme Notebooks, or something like that. It has a Clevo motherboard and an Intel Q9550 processor + 4GB of RAM. The thing is heavy and has 3 internal hard drives. He just finished a corporate video project yesterday that was made up of about 90% Panasonic P2 Hi-Def 1080i footage. His notebook handled the job without any issues at all. He just upgraded today to Windows 7 64 bit from Vista Ultimate 64. I will let you know how that goes.

I remember reading a while back about notebooks coming out with the new Intel i7 processors. Get one of those with 3 internal hard drives and more than 4GB RAM if possible (not sure about that one).  Add Windows 7 and you should be fine. These high end models are heavy, but look at it this way. People pay good money for personal trainers. All that lugging around, you will get a good workout thrown in at no extra charge.

• 17. Re: Laptop hardware question??

Take a look at this one for starters. 

Or this one..

Be carefull as Intel has just released a mobile i7 processor which is not the same as a true i7 920 which is the current cat's meow for video editing.  Take a look at my "Benchmark Results" for i7 920 results that beat my dual Xeon 5410 system.

• 18. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                            skijaq Level 1

Thanks Charles

Everyone is still telling me about 3 hard drives but I still do not know

what to put on which drive etc.- I might need this in somewhat remedial

language (a scratch drive?? doesn't mean anything to me)

In effect I will have 3 internal drives internally via e sata or the express

car slot. My plan is to use all SSD memory for durability - I have had a lot

of drives go south after the odd helicopter ride.

• 19. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                              skijaq Level 1

Thanks Bill

Do you have any test data or ideas as to how much slower the mobile chips

would be?? It still seems that any of these will be much faster than my

present T5600 duo core

JJ

• 20. Re: Laptop hardware question??

Unfortunately no.

I do not trust any of the the other "Premiere"  benchmarks that appear on the web because they generally they do not document them, they are obsolete versions and/or they do not let anyone try to duplicate the results.  That is why 4 years ago I developed my first PPBM benchmark that allowed multiple tests of different features of Premiere and an easily downloadable personally run benchmark and posted the accumulated results.

Yes these chips will be faster than your present T5600 dual core.  How much I do not know until someone runs tests and submits them to me to publish.

• 21. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                                  skijaq Level 1

Thanks Bill

I appreciate your insight

JJ

• 22. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 9
                                                    I still do not know what to put on which drive

C: OS and Programs (smallish)

D: Project files and Scratch (files generated by Premiere, set in Preferences) (300 to 500 GB)

E: Media (1TB+)

The above is a recommended starting point.  You can certainly add to it and make things better, and you can certainly get away with less (but in so doing, performance may start to suffer).

• 23. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

In earlier versions of Premiere we used to keep project files (prproj's) in the default C,: My Documents, Adobe folder. Within the last few years we started keeping the *.prproj's in the same folder as the project's media, video files, etc. We have a huge amount of media and projects. This method prevents Premiere project files and the media they reference from getting separated and becoming difficult to find later. We use the 3rd. drive for exporting our finished videos, creating DVDs in Encore, etc.

• 24. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                                        skijaq Level 1

Thanks Jim

That makes it easy to understand

JJ

• 25. Re: Laptop hardware question??
                                                          skijaq Level 1

Thanks Charles

JJ