6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 7:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors

FlexAce Level 1

I installed Premier Elements 8

All my image colors in Lightroom (2.5 & 3) are now very dark and very saturated

I uninstalled Premier 8

Reinstalled/repaired Lightroom 2.5

Yet the colors on all of the images when viewed in lightroom are screwed big time

Dark and over saturated

If I open the same images in photoshop (camera raw), they look fine.

Note: I intentionally also posted this in the lightroom forum.

Someone somewhere must know what files would make the images now look like this way in Lightroom

Thanks

Mathias

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
          FlexAce Level 1

Once I recalibrated the monitor with my eye-one, reboot and lightroom is back to normal

That was very odd

ONLY in Lightroom was the color of images WAY off

Something in the PRE 8 install knocked the calibration out of whack.

Images in photoshop and other applications looked just fine

Mathias

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
            -Subbi Adobe Employee

Did you get any insight from the Lightroom forum.
            It looks like that the Lightroom stops reading the metadata files that are associated with a particular file ( I am assuming that these are Camera RAW files)but

But its really strange!

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
              FlexAce Level 1

yes someone there had mentioned my monitor profile

Once I created a brand new profile, the colors in lightroom were back to normal

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is odd behavior, as earlier versions of PrE did not have any monitor calibration. I do not know about PrE 8, but have not seen mention made of monitor calibration in any of Steve G's, or ATR's reports on the newer version.

Now, going back a bit, PrE 4 did mess up the full PrPro CS2 Production Studio and most of its elements with the installation. Adobe became aware of this, and issued an Adobe KB Article on the fix - Repair Install of the full CS2 suite. Simple, if one knows what they need to do. I would think that Adobe would have worked out problems like this with PrE 8, but maybe they missed something with Lightroom?

I would anticipate that it's more likely that one's vidcard driver would be the culprit, but without extensive tests, that is only a guess. Photoshop was the only Adobe program with monitor calibration, and new even Adobe Gamma is gone, as most folk do, as you have - use 3rd party calibration software and hardware.

Good luck, and I hope that you monitor profile holds. Please let us know if PrE 8 kills it again.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't think we're talking about monitor calibration, Hunt. I think we're talking about the program applying Color Profiles -- a feature that's been a part of Photoshop Elements for some time.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 8 Toasted My Lightroom Colors
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Could be. If I read the OP's comments, however, it seems that the monitor profile was smurfed, and had to be redone to get the gamma and colors back.

With Color Profiles, one has the option to use the image's existing Color Profile, or establishing a new one. This new Profile would then need to be part of the image with a Save.

I work in many different Color Profiles in PS, but if I change this, I always do a Save_As, so as to preserve the original Color Profile in my original image. Only the new Save_As image has the new Color Profile.

Maybe I misunderstood the problem and also the solution for the OP. It seemed to be a global setting change that affected ALL images, but it's still early here in the desert...

Thanks,

Hunt