4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 3:24 PM by Harm Millaard

Disk usage advice -- correct or incorrect?

ChrissaSwenson Level 1

Hi all,

I have three drives, as kindly advised here by many folks (Harm, your hardware post is priceless).

I talked to a person who does IT at my institute and claims to do video editing, and he told me that having my scratch disk (where the prv files go and other temporary working files created by Premiere Pro) be the same disk that my Paging File is on will slow down my editing process.  His reasoning was that much of my active data will be in the Paging File much of the time, so this will be competing for disk use with the rendering files being created.

Is this correct?

He also told me that my Processor Resource Allocatkion should be set to "Background Services" for best performance.  Is this correct?

I am working with a quad-core system and Vista 64, with 16 GB of DDR2 RAM.  My programs are of course on the system drive, my video source files are on another drive, and my media caches and whatnot are on a third drive.  That third drive presently holds my Paging File, which I have conservatively set at 1X RAM (16 GB).

Thank all of you who might have info on these basic questions, and thanks to all of you for the countless informative posts that I have benefited from over the last months.  It takes your time and effort, and that is wholly appreciated.

Chrissa

• 1. Re: Disk usage advice -- correct or incorrect?
          sundeep yadav Level 1

Hey Chrissa,

I would recommend you that the scratch disk should be a external hard drive and not any of the primary hard drive and make your primary drives save your paging files.

The source files which you are using in PR pro in order to edit them should be on the primary hard drive so that it doesn't take the primary memory(RAM)resource that much that it slows your system down.

This is all i gota understand from this post and answerd as much as i can.

Hope it helps you.

Have a good day

• 2. Re: Disk usage advice -- correct or incorrect?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            with 16 GB of DDR2 RAM.

With that much RAM, your swap file will likely never get used.  I'd not even worry about it and let Windows manage it.

• 3. Re: Disk usage advice -- correct or incorrect?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

I would recommend you that the scratch disk should be a external hard drive and not any of the primary hard drive and make your primary drives save your paging files.

I think that's bad advice that will slow things down overall.

The source files which you are using in PR pro in order to edit them should be on the primary hard drive

More bad advice.  Nothing but OS, Programs (and Swap, if you choose) should be on the System drive.

• 4. Re: Disk usage advice -- correct or incorrect?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Chrissa,

He also told me that my Processor Resource Allocatkion should be set to "Background Services" for best performance.  Is this correct?

No. It should be set to Programs. And about your Pagefile, he is not wrong, but neither is he correct. If you have a separate disk for scratch files, he is completely correct, but you do not have that additional disk so the point is mute. With 24 GB of memory, chances are you will never use the pagefile. I would suggest a fixed pagefile of 8 GB max, thereby forcing Windows to use more of your RAM instead of the pagefile.