6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 11:35 AM by Pictrix

Can the Stroke Width list be changed?

Pictrix

Is there any way to edit the list of numeric stroke choices in that drop-down menu?

Also, when I set units to "inches" for stroke (via Prefs), the little box in the toolbar shows the stroke width in decimal (inches) but when I click on the drop down menu to change it, it changes to show the widths in "points".

Is this normal? It's certainly confusing.

Any way to edit the list to have just my most commonly used decimal-inch weights?

What is the smallest possible stroke weight I can enter that will output the smallest possible line the output device is capable of?

• 1. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Pictrix,

Presuming nothing has changed in the most recent versions:

Is there any way to edit the list of numeric stroke choices in that drop-down menu?

Unfortunately, no.

Also, when I set units to "inches" for stroke (via Prefs), the little box in the toolbar shows the stroke width in decimal (inches) but when I click on the drop down menu to change it, it changes to show the widths in "points".

Is this normal? It's certainly confusing.

Yes, yes.

Any way to edit the list to have just my most commonly used decimal-inch weights?

No.

What is the smallest possible stroke weight I can enter that will output the smallest possible line the output device is capable of?

That rather depends on the output device; the lower limit is 0.01pt: everything below is rounded up, or down to 0.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
            Pictrix Level 1

Thanks for the definitive answer on these points. Very dissapointing, nonetheless!

As to the smallest size, my question would be that if the stroke width was set to something smaller than the smallest dot the printer could muster, will it print that dot, or drop it out? And is that a function of AI or the printer to interpret?

Further mucking about in AI has generated even more interface questions but I'm starting to think I know the answers to those already as well

Well, I'll ask one more... any way to set things up so MY customary font/size/color etc. comes up as the "default" in a new document? Given my recent issues with printing black... it would be quite a useful trick to master!

--Carol

• 3. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
              Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Pictrix wrote:

the smallest size is "hairline". You can't enter that in Illy directly. You have to use the pathfinder "Outline" to generate a stroke width of "hairline", which is indicated by the number 0 in the stroke panel. Be careful with this one in offset printing though.

As to defining a different Font or colors: You have to edit the New Document Profiles. Change the font in the standard character style. Change the colors in the swatches panel and the Default colors in the graphic style "Default".

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
                Pictrix Level 1
                As to defining a different Font or colors: You have to edit the New Document Profiles. Change the font in the standard character style. Change the colors in the swatches panel and the Default colors in the graphic style "Default".

Standard Character Style? Changing that in the palette there, doesn't make a difference no matter what I save it as... template, in the folder for the New Doc Profiles... nada. I open the doc, and it always says "Myriad".

I must not understand Graphic Styles either, because I saved a style, but in no way was able to apply it to anything.

I'm feeling pretty dumb about now 

• 5. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to Users>yourname>Library>Application Support>Adobe>AICS3/4>New Document Profiles. Open the File that you use most often or all that you want to change. From the Window menu>Type>Character open the Character Panel. Select the Character Style tab. The Normal Character Style line should be highlighted. From the flyout (small triangle, upper right) select Character Style Options. A new dialog will open where you can set what font you want to be your basic font. Close and save. Restart AI and make a new document. It should use the new font you chose. As for Graphic Styles, to replace the default one (top left in the panel window) make an object with the stroke and fill you want as your default. Drag it with the Option key held down over the default swatch in the Graphic Style panel (a heavy line will outline the swatch) and release. Save the file. When you start a new file this will be your default fill/stroke.

• 6. Re: Can the Stroke Width list be changed?
                    Pictrix Level 1

Ahhh... perfect!

That helps quite a bit. I wasn't finding the right character style panel in the first place...

Thanks!