3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 6:40 PM by TF22Raptor2

Best halftone dot vector techniques

TF22Raptor2 Level 1

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can recommend any good tutorials or techniques on doing halftone patterns.

I can create them manually (create and scale circles) and I have found the Phantasm CS plugin, have explored the swatches panel dots but are wondering if there are any other high level ways of creating them in vector with maximum options and flexibility etc.

I see there is an effect/pixelatte/color half tone but I havent really gone too far with it (cant seem to generate vectors out of it)

Any help would be great

• 1. Re: Best halftone dot vector techniques
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Raptor,

There is a lot of good threads about this, amounting to a tutorial. A simple search for halftone dot vector will reveal them. It is not really needed to limit the search to Illy threads beacuse most of them are.

• 2. Re: Best halftone dot vector techniques
            JETalmage Level 6

I use a combination of Javascript, the Create>ObjectMosaic Filter, and Symbols. I adjust the dynamic range in the image to my liking, run the ObjectMosaic Filter in grayscale mode. The Javascript then replaces each of the resulting "tiles" (just rectangular paths) with an Instance of a Symbol scaled according to the grayscale value of the tile. This creates a faux halftone with "dots" that can be anything I want.

I am working on a modification of the same thing which, instead of scaling the Symbol Instances, uses the grayscale values of the mosiaic tiles to weight a random yes/no decision as to whether to place an Instance. The result is like a diffusion-dither stochastic screen, wherein all "dots" are the same size, and tones are simulated by their frequency (density), not their size.

The scripts are very slow; the kind of thing I launch and then walk away from for an hour or two.

Understand, though: A true halftone is more than just an array of different size dots. In a true halftone, the dots change shape between circular and square. In the highlight areas, the dots are round and black; in the shadow areas, the dots are round and white; in the midtone areas, the dots "melt" together in transitional "blobs".

JET

• 3. Re: Best halftone dot vector techniques
              TF22Raptor2 Level 1

Hi Jet and Jacob,

Yeah I love the gradient halftone dot effect where there is a full box of color then it gradually fades away like a gradient but with these halftone dots, never done one before and just wanted to get up with the latest on how to do it as I can see myself using them in future. Thought there might have been a one stop shop plugin for Illustrator or something that provided maximum control and options.

http://resources.motogp.com/files/images/xx/2008/MotoGP/FRA/non/222179_Valentino+Rossi+in+the+Fiat+Yamaha+garage-1280x960-may18.jpg.preview.jpg