5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 4:24 PM by groovyone26

Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD

groovyone26

I had a nice DV camcorder but during filming for my class project it stopped working, so I turned over to my JVC Everio HDD Camcorder.  Before people start telling me to use a different editing program, I can't.  This is a final project and PPRO is required and the camcorder was $400, so it is an expensive camcorder.

The files are .MOD, which is not supported by Premiere Pro CS4.  I found a way to convert, but not sure what is the best format.  I tried .AVI, .MPG,.MPV, and .WMV ( the footage size is drastically reduced with this conversion).  Some have great video, but the audio stops.  Some have great audio, but the image is speedy and than stops.  On the .MOV the widescreen is squared off.  When I play the DVD on the computer the images are great because they are on a small screen, but when I play them on the large screen TV, some of the video files (.MOV) are bad.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  I have Quicktime on my computer along with Windows media player.  The files I listed above all play on the players, but when it is taken into Premiere, the problems start.  When opening a new project, there is no setting to select for the JVC movie files, like there are with the Sony and the Panasonic.  I just don't know how to fix these problems.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          the camcorder was $400, so it is an expensive camcorder.

That's actually extremely cheap.  Pro cameras I'd recommend start in the $2,000 range.  While you certainly can get cheaper MiniDV cameras, that crowd generally would use Premiere Elements.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Well, you chose the wrong camera to replace your MiniDV with.  To fix that, convert the media to DV AVI files for use in Premiere.

• 2. Re: Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD
            groovyone26 Level 1

In case you haven't noticed, a regular consumer, ME, can't get DV camcorders!  We looked and all we can get are open boxed DV camcorders.  They are all HDD camcorders!  And for a regular consumer, ME, $400 is not cheap!  Also, I stated in my posting I can NOT use anything but Premiere Pro or Final Cut.  There has to be a way to use these files.  How can an expensive program not do this.  It should do EVERYTHING.

Looking for help, not what I should be or what program I should use!

• 3. Re: Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere Pro does not do everything... it is designed to work with certain formats, and files from DVD or HDD cameras are, by and large, not within the parameters for PPro, at least for SD editing

One program that is mentioned often here is at http://www.deskshare.com/

There are other programs... use the free http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to find the exact codec in your file, then google to find a program to convert it to DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound... For SD (Standard Definition) that is the file that will work best

Do be aware that converting from a compressed format (for sure from a DVD camcorder, maybe from a HDD camcorder) you are likely going to see a drop in quality... but as long as you have DV AVI type 2 with 48khz sound you will be able to edit

• 4. Re: Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                a regular consumer, ME, can't get DV camcorders!

Here's 4 choices for about $200 or less.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=1871&N=4294548093+4294955576+35&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0

for a regular consumer, ME, $400 is not cheap!

Perhaps.  But regular consumers are generally better off using a consumer program.  Premiere Pro is made for professionals.  That's not to say only a professional can use it, though I personally would recommend that be the case.  Get the formal education.  Work for someone else.  Only then try doing this job on your own, preferably with enough capital to do it right.

How can an expensive program not do this.

Because it's made for professionals who generally don't use weird format consumer cameras.

It should do EVERYTHING.

I personally disagree with that.  It should do what pros need it to do with pro formats.  It should be stable at doing that.  There are consumer editors for the non-professional.

Looking for help

Such was offered.  Convert to DV AVI for use in Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: Student problem with converted files and their quality on DVD
                  groovyone26 Level 1

Through trial and error I have found that the files work best if converted to a Super VCD format.  The image is large, the audio is great and the image is crystal clear, even on a large screen TV.

Thanks for those that gave good advice.