0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 9:36 AM by Ereadable

When will DE sort out the authorization bug?

Ereadable

Yet again I've had a customer caught out by Digital Editions breaking the user licensing info when authorising. Customer purchased ebook, installed Digital Editions and skipped the authorisation step (even though my store tells them this will cause problems), downloads ebook, and then afterwards decides to authorise with an Adobe ID so they can transfer the ebook to another PC using the same Adobe ID. Result: ebook is not readable on the original PC because DE doesn't change the associated ID in the PDF during the authorisation process. The error message is (according to the customer)

license server communication problem : E_LIC_ALREADY_FULFILLED_BY_ANOTHER_USER

I did post about it on the old forums with no useful response from Adobe, and I'd heard (obviously incorrectly) that this had been corrected in 1.7, but this customer only installed Digital Editions yesterday so this appears to not be the case. When will this be fixed? Looking at a few of the other posts in this forum I see the same issue is apparent with other users. Back in the "old days" using Reader when authorisation was required there was a lot less hassle being a retailer than there is now.

Oh, and I can't open a support case because I'm not the person affected. I've directed my customer to open a case, and I'm resetting the order in ACS so the ebook can be downloaded fresh using the Adobe ID, but this really is something Adobe should have addressed long ago.

I wonder how long DRM has left to go ... Microsoft Press is going to DRM free distribution of their ebooks through O'Reilly Safari, and with Barnes & Noble having decided to use Fictionwise/eReader DRM in their ePub files there's going to a lot more confusion reigning about the place of DRM. Personally I'd like to see it go completely, but as a retailer I understand why publishers want it. It's a shame that the dominant DRM ebook reader software on the market can't get this right, it's probably contributing heavily to the push towards DRM free retailing.