8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 1:37 PM by JLuttermann

Issue saving as a PDF

kylemesa

Starting today, every time I save a file in illustrator as a *.pdf the software freezes. The rest of my laptop works fine but I can't minimize or maximize illustrator. In task manager the mem usage freezes at what ever it was at when i tried to save. I can save as a *.ai file without issue.

All that I think has changed since my last good save was an install of Wacom intuos4 large tablet and yahoo messenger.

I uninstalled messenger and rebooted and am still having the same issue.

• 1. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

kylemesa,

You may try uninstalling the tablet and see. If that helps, at least you know what the issue is.

If not, it may be time to Move the folder

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

All that I think has changed since my last good save was an install of Wacom intuos4 large tablet and yahoo messenger.

I wouldn't be to sure of that. There were security updates for a number of PDF-related  issues in Acrobat as well as in several alternate PDF creation and viewing software, so my best guess would be that one such update eiutehr never got applied correctly or what it was supposed to fix now messes with the shzared PDF libraries used by Adobe. Of course don't let this discourage you. moving the folder could still solve the issue. Regarding the updates, initiating a manual update might solve the problem and "heal" damaged installs of Acrobat.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
              JLuttermann

I have the exact same problem with a Wacon Intuos 3 and Windows 7.

Save as PDF woks fine in all other Adobe programs and have found other solutions on the web pointing towards the Wacom drivers and suggestions to roll back the drivers to version 6.1.0.6 which unfortunately didn't work for me.

The only solution I have found is to totally uninstall all Wacom drivers and not use my tablet !!

This is just not good enough for me, so what I'm doing now is create my AI file, transfer it to my Mac and save it as PDF..... I worry about what would happen if I connect my tablet to my Mac!?!

So I have a solution which works but then again doesn't really work for me.

From what I hear it is a Wacom problem but they apparently doesn't recognize this, so it might be a long wait until this is solved!

• 4. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
                sonicDream Level 3

Just a thought ... why dun you use a 3rd party print driver for PDF like the ones based on Ghoscript(CutePDF etc.) and see if it's working. Normally it should work with those.

• 5. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
                  JLuttermann Level 1

Because that is not the same as save as PDF

One of the main differences is that when you save as PDF you can keep the Illustrator editing capabilities which you don't get when you print to PDF.

• 6. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
                    kylemesa Level 1

I tried the moving the folder link, but it turns out I had no prefs file or adobe illustrator 14 prefs folder.

I completely uninstalled and reinstalled it and now it works again. Thanks guys

• 7. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
                      JLuttermann Level 1

I wish I could say the same.

I have tried uninstalling Illustrator and reinstalling without any luck. Did you also uninstall Acrobat Pro?

• 8. Re: Issue saving as a PDF
                        kylemesa Level 1

Nope, just AI CS4 and i checked to remove all prefrences since i couldnt find the pref doc. (which i dont think i had, i work in IT so I do this stuff normally and couldn't find it for the life of me)