7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2014 11:10 AM by Adrian Zarp

Purging memory in Ppro

Rossiter Level 1

While I'm working in Ppro, I see the memory usage gradually go higher and higher, until the programme crashes once it's using more than aroung 2.5gb.

Is there any way to purge the memory, as in AE, to free it up rather than reload the project when I can see it getting high?

Thanks, Linda

i7 PC base unit, inc i7-920 CPU, 12GB RAM, 500GB system disk, 1TB data disk (plus 2x eSATA ports for external disks), DVD-RW, BluRay-RW, 896MB 275GTX graphics card, Vista 64 Business, Matrox RTX2 card, CS4 Production Suite

• 1. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I think the only way is to Save, Close and then re-launch.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
            Rossiter Level 1

Ok, thank you. This is what I've been doing....

... but I can only work for maybe half an hour before I have to close and reopen again.

Is this really how everyone works?

I've got 12GB ram, which isn't all being used - is there a limit to the amount Ppro can use?

Thanks, Linda

• 3. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

You can break your project into smaller projects to edit, then import all of them into a master project for export.

As for the memory usage, PrCS4 spawns several 32-bit processes, each of which should be able to use up to 4 GB of RAM in a 64-bit environment.  It seems that one of those processes is using up more than its share of memory *and* resources.  If I had to bet, I'd guess it's the ImporterProcessServer.

Are you using MPEG or AVCHD source footage?

Do you have any 3rd-party hardware like Matrox or Aja or BlackMagic?

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
                Rossiter Level 1

Are you using MPEG or AVCHD source footage?

No

Do you have any 3rd-party hardware like Matrox or Aja or BlackMagic?

Yes, the Matrox RTX2 card.

But my forum experience so far is that Adobe blame Matrox while Matrox blame Adobe... and I don't understand either one's argument well enough to respond.

I've worked on an RTX2 CS3 system for a couple of years, and have many Matrox projects, so sadly removing the board from this new CS4 system isn't really an option at the moment.

I'll keeping saving / quiting... maybe 4.2 and some new Matrox drivers will fix it

Lind

• 5. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
                  Rossiter Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to say - the ImporterProcessServer is currently at about 1.5gb.

If I let Ppro crash, and restart it, it says that the ImporterProcessServer has stopped working.

By then deleting the Adobe cache files, I can get it started again.

Perhaps this all points to the same thing.

Thanks, Linda

• 6. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Is this really how everyone works?

I have only 3GB installed, but don't have any issues with Premiere crashing.

• 7. Re: Purging memory in Ppro
                      Adrian Zarp

Hi Rossiter.

I use Premiere a lot and most of the times I edit full HD videos and also have your problem. What I found that works for me is to open After Effects at the same time and every once in a while purge the memory from there. It purges all the memory so it also does for Premiere.

Hope it helps.

Adrian Zarp