Expand my Community achievements bar.

Mutually Exclusive check boxes not radio buttons

Level 2

I have a situation that calls for Mutually Exclusive check boxes not radio buttons. The problem is that I have check boxes that tell a text field to show different text depending what check box is selected. However I need only one box to be checked at a time. I know this sounds like a radio button but because of what I'm doing I need the check box because I need to place text in the on/off value in the binding tab to make my script work. I will attach an example with screen shot. My script in the change event is as follows

if

(this.rawValue == "Child"){

Procedure.presence

= "visible";

Procedure.rawValue

= "Child Procedure";

So Ineed my child, teen,, and Adult field to tell the other 2 fields to be not checked when they are checked like a radio button.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

You can make radio buttons appear like checkboxes. So they will be RadioButtons and act like Radio Buttons but they will look like checkboxes. On the Object palette there is an appearance dropdown. Change the appearance to sunken square.

Paul

Level 2

Thank you Paul,

I do use this method for forms that live in both the print and

electronic world quite often. My problem is the action and script I am using

needs to set the value in the check box - object - binding tab which does

not exist with the radio button. So the appearance is not the issue. Thanks

for responding to my blog. If you know how to script for this scenario in

the click or change event or a way I can get this to work another way that

would be great. You can look at the attached example from the original post

and see what I mean. Thanks so much.

Former Community Member

I remember a blog entry on John Brinkman's blog that describes how to do this .....warning it is quite technical but it can be achieved.

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2008/10/exclusion_groups_v30.html

Paul

Level 2

I will try this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I don't know if I am that technical yet. We will see.

Level 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I just had to add the following script in addition to my previous script on the change event:

if (this.rawValue == "1")

{

CheckBox2.rawValue = null;

CheckBox3.rawValue = null;

}

The link you sent me had other exclusion scripts that will be helpful.