4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 5:08 PM by tploud74

How does the ActionScript API, Eclipse IDE, Flex SDK, Cygwin & Flex Builder all communicate??

tploud74

Whats up Everyone! As you might've immediately recognized from the title of this thread I'm new to developing apps with Flex.....

If I've succesfully set up my development environment (Flex SDK, Eclipse IDE, JAVA SDK, Apache Ant, Flash Player, etc.....) & checked out the source code using Subversion, can I start developing my app using the ActionScript 3 API using Eclipse? & how do those different SDK's & programs communicate? How should they be setup?

• 1. Re: How does the ActionScript API, Eclipse IDE, Flex SDK, Cygwin & Flex Builder all communicate??
          paul.williams Level 4

I'm not sure I understand your issue. What source code have you checked out with subversion? Are you using FlexBuilder (standalone or plugin) or are you just using Eclipse? What do you want to use Cygwin for? How do you know your development environment is successfully setup if you haven't developed anything yet?

• 2. Re: How does the ActionScript API, Eclipse IDE, Flex SDK, Cygwin & Flex Builder all communicate??
            tploud74 Level 1

This will be my 1st attempt building any project with Flex. & yes you are right I havent successfully built anything yet. I work at an environmental engineering firm & was looking to develop an in-house app that could be used by upper-management & others who dont know how to use the tools in AutoCAD or ArcGIS to get quick info & generate data visaulizations based on our current dataset & databases.

So I'm still in the early development phases & just loaded Flex on my home computer & was wondering what an ideal IDE would look like to get started implementing this project......

• 3. Re: How does the ActionScript API, Eclipse IDE, Flex SDK, Cygwin & Flex Builder all communicate??
              paul.williams Level 4

I'd recommend installling the FlexBuilder 3 trial available at the link below.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=flexbuilder3

If you are planning to use Java / Ant as part of your project then I'd recommend installing the Flex Builder plugin into an existing install of Eclipse. This will allow you to develop Java and Flex components within the same IDE. Otherwise the standalone Flex Builder may be sufficient. Eclipse installers are available here:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Once you have Flex Builder installed, run through the getting started tutorials:

http://learn.adobe.com/wiki/display/Flex/Getting+Started

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How does the ActionScript API, Eclipse IDE, Flex SDK, Cygwin & Flex Builder all communicate??
                msakrejda Level 4

If you're willing to buy into the FlexBuilder way of doing things, that's probably the way to go. In this case, you don't really need to worry about anything except FlexBuilder (at least for a while). I don't really have any experience in setting up a project with a server component (I always set 'server type' to 'None' and configure this manually), but other than that, the experience has been (fairly) smooth, and I'm someone who's pretty heavily biased towards the command line. FlexBuilder takes care of most of the Flex compiler options, tracking different SDK versions (I have three different ones installed), offers code completion and navigation tools, etc.

To get some of the terms straight (I'm not sure how familiar you are with these, since you just threw them out there--pardon me if I'm being patronizing):

* the ActionScript API: the function and class definitions built into Flash Player (fl.*) and the Flex standard library (mx.*)

* Eclipse: a Java IDE, the core of FlexBuilder

* Flex SDK: the Flex standard library, the mxml and compc flex compilers, some ant tasks for build automation, etc.

* Cygwin: this does not really have anything to do with Flex specifically, as far as I'm aware--it's a *nix emulation layer for Windows

* FlexBuilder: the Flex IDE from Adobe, built as a plug-in to Eclipse

FlexBuilder is available in standalone (i.e., pre-bundled with Eclipse) and plug-in versions. Both versions include the SDK. If you're just starting out, I would suggest a FlexBuilder standalone trial, and follows some tutorials out there (or, really, just chose "new Flex project" and explore). In this case, you don't really have to worry about installing or configuring anything else to get started.

Note also that for the upcoming Flex 4, FlexBuilder has been renamed Flash Builder (but I would stick with Flex 3.4 or 3.2 right now unless you really likethe bleeding edge).

1 person found this helpful