5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 3:12 AM by Letmethink

Trouble Getting Started

uncle111

This weekend I downloaded free trial versions of 3 editing software programs to see which one I want to buy. Premiere Elements 8 is one of the 3. I don't know if I have done something wrong with PE8, or if I'm just missing something.

It seems to have installed okay, and when I click on the icon to open it I get the welcome window. But when I click on the New Project my computer bogs down and PE just hangs, using 98% CPU. I have 2gigs of RAM and an AMD Sempron Processor 3400+.  I would think I have adequate system resources, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone know if I might be missing something? I'd like to include PE8 in my test, but can't even begin.

• 1. Re: Trouble Getting Started
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I feel like I type this same solution a dozen times a day, but it really does fix 95% of these basic problems.

Go to Windows Update and ensure you have the latest updates, even the non-critical ones. You'll likely have to manually download them. Then go to either the ATI or nVidia site and download the latest firmware for your video. Finally, go to the Apple site and ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

If you're still having problems, try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

You will need plenty of room of your hard drive (I recommend at least 30-50 gigabytes) and make sure your drive is defragmented.

• 2. Re: Trouble Getting Started
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Then go to either the ATI or nVidia site and download the latest firmware for your video.

One additional aspect, should the user have a recent nVidia card, and download the most recent driver (always a good idea), is that new nVidia drivers have two modules for advanced gaming: 3D Stereovision and PhysX. Both of these should be disengaged for NLE work. Each has caused no end to problems, mainly with starting the program. The 3D Stereovision module is particularly troublesome. Both also interfere with PrPro, and not just PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trouble Getting Started
              Rodrigues Regan

Hi,

I understand your plight Steve. :-)

Basically our friend here seems to be having a problem with hardware as well as maintainance of the system here.

I would recommend like i do to everyone else, to have a stronger machine, if not possible aleast a couple of RAM will help.

One more thing, when you are running Premiere Elements 8.0, make sure all other apps which eat up CPU/Memory must be closed. Giving 100% attention to Premiere Elements will just be an aide.

Just to debug, a small possibilty there might be a case that some program conflict. To resolve it, you may launch Premiere Elements 8.0 and start killing the user aplications one by one. Might just help.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Trouble Getting Started
                jackscon joseph Level 1

Check your  premiere elements  installed drive has engouh disk space and update video and audio drivers in your system.

Delete prefrence files from this location. 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

• 5. Re: Trouble Getting Started
                  Letmethink

- Which other video editing software you have, released/trial?

- Any audio capture software like Total Recorder may impact PRE8