9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2010 3:32 PM by JRich7911

Slow Printing...any solutions????

h8printingadobe Level 1

We have many users that experiance slow printing when printing PDF files. We have a Windows 2003 print server and have Xerox and HP printers. We use PCL5 drivers. I have done some searching on this problem and it seems to be widespread and I have not found any solutions. Is Adobe working on this issue at all because it looks like this has always been a problem for them?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
          h8printingadobe Level 1

Wow, everyone is staying away from this one. So it appears Adobe is just crap when it comes to printing and they are not doing anything about it. Well I guess I can check back and see if anyone has any solutions or help.

Thanks,

H8PrintingAdobe

• 2. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
            ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

h8printingadobe wrote:

Wow, everyone is staying away from this one. So it appears Adobe is just crap when it comes to printing and they are not doing anything about it.

Thanks,

H8PrintingAdobe

Could just be that anyone that has had this issue hasn't seen your thread yet. Have a little patience.

And for what it's worth (which isn't much), I'm using numorous HP, Epson and Sony printers and haven't experienced this issue.

• 3. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
              h8printingadobe Level 1

Sorry about that, you are right. Just getting frustrated by the what appears to be lack of care from Adobe. I have done some searching and I have seen tons of people complaining about slowness with printing and no solutions. I will have more patience.

Thanks.....

• 4. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Getting help from Adobe is getting tougher I agree.

Just bump this thread now and then and hopefully someone will see it and help. And if you find a solution, be sure and post it here.

Good luck.

• 5. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                  jfh777 Level 1

We began seeing very slow Acrobat Reader printing this week.  We have a Citrix environment running on Windows Server 2003, with 4 print servers.  When a user would choose File, Print... within Acrobat Reader, it would take up to 2 minutes for the print dialog box to show up.

After some research we found that the slowness was caused by dead printer connections.  We shut down an old print server, and users who still had connections to it experienced the slowness.  So deleting those phantom, non-existent, "unable to connect" printer connections made all the difference.

Also - the more printers a user has, the slower the dialog box is to appear.  I guess Acrobat Reader enumerates all the connections before it brings up the dialog.  I pared down to a single networked printer and it was instant.  Driver type (PCL vs PS) did not make a difference.

Hope this helps someone!

Regards,

Justin

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                    h8printingadobe Level 1

Thanks I will give it a shot and see how it works out. I will post my results.

Thanks,

Mike

• 7. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                      h8printingadobe Level 1

Thanks for the information. I will do that and see how it works out.

Thanks,

Mike

• 8. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                        h8printingadobe Level 1

Thanks for your help Justin. I did check and the person did have a dead printer so we removed that and it was a little quicker. I took it one step further and removed all printers from that person and just added one printer back and it was pretty much normal, a Little slower than Word or Excel but a vast improvement over what it was. I then kept adding all her printers back in one at a time and it got slow with each printer added so I explained to the user the issue. Next issue that will slow it down is the bloat with printing Adobe documents. I have seen 30Mb documents bloat to over 750Mb!!!!! I don't know why that happens but send a couple of those to a printer with a 100Mb NIC and 64Mb of memory.....guess what that equals....slow printing....THANKS ADOBE!!!!

Well thank you for your help on this.

Thanks,

H8PrintingAdobe

• 9. Re: Slow Printing...any solutions????
                          JRich7911

We have just recently started to see this problem but only when we use PCL drivers.  When we use Post Script drivers it works much better.  We are using a Canon 3220 Copier/Printer on a local area network.  The computers are Windows XP and Windows Vista.  We have version 9.3 of Adobe Acrobat Reader.