2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 8:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Video Effects cause Windows DEP exception

rmeacham62

When scrolling through video effects (just looking at the list) Premiere 8 crashes.  I then get a notice that Windows has shutdown the program because of a DEP Exception.  I have tried rebooting but same thing happens, even on a brand new project with just one video clip.

Any one know how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Video Effects cause Windows DEP exception
          rmeacham62 Level 1

I think I found the solution myself.

I followed this guide:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html

Step number 5 seems to have solved the problem.

Please Note that the orignal steps provided in the above trouble shooting guide refer to Windows XP.  I have modified the text below to indicate which steps are for Vista.

5. Re-create the Premiere Elements preferences folders.

Re-create the Premiere Elements preferences folders to eliminate problems that damaged preferences might cause.

Note: When you use this solution, Premiere Elements will create new preferences folders and you will lose custom settings. However, the folders that you rename in Steps 2 and 3 below are your original preferences folders. If you determine that the preferences folders are not causing the problem, then you can restore your custom settings by following the instructions below.

To re-create the Premiere Elements preferences folders in Windows XP:

1. Close Premiere Elements.
          2. Rename the 8.0 folder (for example, to Old 8.0) in the C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Elements folder.
          3. Rename the Styles folder (for example, to Old Styles) in the C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0 folder.
          4. Open Premiere Elements. Premiere Elements will create new preferences folders.

To re-create the Premiere Elements preferences folders in Windows Vista:

1. Close Premiere Elements.
          2. Rename the 8.0 folder (for example, to Old 8.0) in the C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements folder.
          3. Rename the Styles folder (for example, to Old Styles) in the C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\8.0 folder.
          4. Open Premiere Elements. Premiere Elements will create new preferences folders
          • 2. Re: Video Effects cause Windows DEP exception
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to post this to the PrE forum. You have posted to the older Premiere (prior to Pro) sub-forum.

Good luck,

Hunt