3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 7:53 PM by Jim_Simon

FastStart feature for Quicktimes made by CS3

Matt Petersen Level 3

Hi folks,

I've noticed recently that MOV's made by Premiere embedded on a webpage have to download in full before they are available to be Played by the user.

WMV's made by Premiere seem to be happy to start playing after a small amount of the file has come down the line to the users machine (what I would call progressive download, but apparently what Apple calls "FastStart").

A responder on an Apple Quicktime forum has advised me that the required code in the file header should be added by the creating application. Apparently QT Pro can rectify the issue easily simply by opening the file and SAVING AS, but none of our class/lab machines have QT Pro.

Has anyone come across a way to get PP CS3 to create a FastStart H.264 MOV?

Matthew P

• 1. Re: FastStart feature for Quicktimes made by CS3
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I can't answer the question directly, but I can say that both QT and WMV are pretty much dinosaurs in today's Internet.

Use Flash instead.  Better quality, more ubiquitous.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FastStart feature for Quicktimes made by CS3
            Matt Petersen Level 3

Fair comment Jim. Flash is certainly where I'd like to head.

Am I right in saying though that a FLV has to sit inside a player of some kind?

In other words, if a student makes a FLV, uploads it to a Joomla site, and inserts it on the page, the file won't have play/pause, scrub, or volume controls a la Youtube, Vimeo et al?

Matthew

• 3. Re: FastStart feature for Quicktimes made by CS3
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Am I right in saying though that a FLV has to sit inside a player of some kind?

Correct.  But that's the beauty of Flash video.  The player is designed by you, the uploader.  With whatever controls you want it to have.  And because it works right in the browser, there's no special player that needs to be installed on the viewer's computer.

For example, I don't like Macs. I don't have an iPod.  I don't use iTunes.  And I don't have Quicktime installed on any of my machines.  For the most part, I get by just fine.  Except when someone embeds an .mov file.  I can't watch it online because I don't have Quicktime installed.

But nearly all browsers have Flash installed.