9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 9:04 AM by Newsgroup_User

Manage Sites -> How to define skeleton

BlueNC
      Hi all,
      My apologies if this has already been answered, I just can't find it, and googled all day today to find a solution, so you guys are my last resort.
      I do like the Manage Sites option, and use it quite extensively (Win/Mac Platform). Now I would like to be able to specify a default folder structure to be created everytime I create a new Site. Basically cutting out the middleman, creating the folder structure first in Windows Exploder and then having to go back to dreamweaver and pointing to the 'doc root', is quite repetative.
      If I recall it correctly, the New Site Manager creates by default just the docroot, and if specified the images folder. Is there a way to have a predefined folderstructure created, everytime I create a new Site with Site Manager ?
      I simply refuse to believe that Adobe / Macromedia overlooked such a useful feature.
      Any help or pointers to plugins is greatly appreciated
      Windows / Mac : Dreamweaver CS3

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Manage Sites -> How to define skeleton
          Level 7
          > Now I would like to be able to specify a default folder structure to
          > be created everytime I create a new Site.

Can't be done.

> If I recall it correctly, the New Site Manager creates by default just the
          > docroot

It doesn't create anything. You do.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"BlueNC" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g66i3h$6fp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi all,
          > My apologies if this has already been answered, I just can't find it, and
          > googled all day today to find a solution, so you guys are my last resort.
          > I do like the Manage Sites option, and use it quite extensively (Win/Mac
          > Platform). Now I would like to be able to specify a default folder
          > structure to
          > be created everytime I create a new Site. Basically cutting out the
          > middleman,
          > creating the folder structure first in Windows Exploder and then having to
          > go
          > back to dreamweaver and pointing to the 'doc root', is quite repetative.
          > If I recall it correctly, the New Site Manager creates by default just the
          > docroot, and if specified the images folder. Is there a way to have a
          > predefined folderstructure created, everytime I create a new Site with
          > Site
          > Manager ?
          > I simply refuse to believe that Adobe / Macromedia overlooked such a
          > useful
          > feature.
          > Any help or pointers to plugins is greatly appreciated
          > Windows / Mac : Dreamweaver CS3
          >
          > Thanks
          >

• 2. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
            Level 7
            On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 06:12:01 +0000 (UTC), "BlueNC"
            <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
            > My apologies if this has already been answered, I just can't find it, and
            >googled all day today to find a solution, so you guys are my last resort.
            > I do like the Manage Sites option, and use it quite extensively (Win/Mac
            >Platform). Now I would like to be able to specify a default folder structure to
            >be created everytime I create a new Site. Basically cutting out the middleman,
            >creating the folder structure first in Windows Exploder and then having to go
            >back to dreamweaver and pointing to the 'doc root', is quite repetative.

Dw can't do it - but why not create a top level folder in Explorer -
            and in it all the folders you use in your sites.
            keep that as a template and copy the folders into new web site folders
            ??

--

~Malcolm~*...
            ~*
            • 3. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
              BlueNC Level 1
              Thank you, guys.
              I was afraid that this is the case (this can't be done). So I go with what Malcolm_ suggested. Create a template structure and copy it everytime I make a new Site. A little inefficient but until a better solution has been found, the best.

• 4. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                Level 7
                I'm curious what particular structure you need in there?

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                ==================
                ==================

news:g67agf$3ns$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thank you, guys.
                > I was afraid that this is the case (this can't be done). So I go with
                > what
                > Malcolm_ suggested. Create a template structure and copy it everytime I
                > make a
                > new Site. A little inefficient but until a better solution has been found,
                > the
                > best.
                >
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                  Level 7
                  On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:08:31 +0000 (UTC), "BlueNC"

>Thank you, guys.
                  > I was afraid that this is the case (this can't be done). So I go with what
                  >Malcolm_ suggested. Create a template structure and copy it everytime I make a
                  >new Site. A little inefficient but until a better solution has been found, the
                  >best.
                  >

I'm sure a scripting language out side Dw could do it, but I just like
                  the simple approach :-)

I for instance always have my css in a subdirectory in - guess what
                  /css

always keep images in /img
                  and include files in /inc
                  data files such as pdf's etc in /data
                  templates in /Templates

I always have index.htm in all folders - even img, css, inc etc as
                  described before on this forum.

and I have some fairly standard styles, include files etc etc I used
                  on every site, or at least to start with.

so a standard template structure with some files helps a lot.

HTH

--

~Malcolm~*...
                  ~*
                  • 6. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                    BlueNC Level 1
                    @Murray: Malcolm hit the nail 100%
                    My default folder structure looks almost identical to his, and this is the stuff, I always had to create After I defined a new site in Dreamweaver, and the reason I was asking is that Dreamweaver allows you to modify the default templates (css/html/php, etc), and maybe (so I was hoping) someone knew how to make Dreamweaver copy a 'skeleton' structure into the newly created site.
                    @ Malcolm: I was considering the option to script something like this, but since I am working on MAC & Windows Platforms (Work /Home) I would need something that works on either OS, and my scriting expertise is very limited to say the least.
                    If I recall the settings right, there was on option to run scripts, after start of dreamweaver, but is there an option to run a script after the site manager completed ?

Anyways, thanks all for all your responses
                    • 7. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                      Level 7
                      > If I recall the settings right, there was on option to run scripts, after
                      > start of dreamweaver

I am not aware of such an option as far back as DW2.

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:g67hjc$bco$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > @Murray: Malcolm hit the nail 100%
                      > My default folder structure looks almost identical to his, and this is the
                      > stuff, I always had to create After I defined a new site in Dreamweaver,
                      > and
                      > the reason I was asking is that Dreamweaver allows you to modify the
                      > default
                      > templates (css/html/php, etc), and maybe (so I was hoping) someone knew
                      > how to
                      > make Dreamweaver copy a 'skeleton' structure into the newly created site.
                      > @ Malcolm: I was considering the option to script something like this, but
                      > since I am working on MAC & Windows Platforms (Work /Home) I would need
                      > something that works on either OS, and my scriting expertise is very
                      > limited to
                      > say the least.
                      > If I recall the settings right, there was on option to run scripts, after
                      > start of dreamweaver, but is there an option to run a script after the
                      > site
                      > manager completed ?
                      >
                      > Anyways, thanks all for all your responses
                      >

• 8. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                        Level 7
                        On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:09:32 +0000 (UTC), "BlueNC"

>
                        > Anyways, thanks all for all your responses

Great - I learn a lot from participating in this forum too.

Maybe it is worth making a feature request - for Dw CS5 - for Dw to
                        set up such a structure ( and option to turn off and on in preferences
                        of course), as it would encourage new users to structure their sites
                        efficiently, may be with some of the sample templates using it.

I'm sure all the "ACES" could suggest what a good site structure could
                        be. :-)

--

~Malcolm~*...
                        ~*
                        • 9. Re: Manage Sites -&gt; How to define skeleton
                          BlueNC Level 1
                          I am looking here on my PC, and I am in the DW install dir -> configuration and there is a Configuration_ReadMe.htm which explains that there is the option for DW startup and shutdown scripts, but this is a moot point, since I am clueless there, too.