18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 3:00 PM by John Novotny

Slooooow Render on PP CS4

John Novotny Level 1

System:

Dell T3500 Workstation

Quad Core Xeon W3850 2.6 GHZ

12 GB RAM

3 HDDs - one for OS, one for source video, one for exports and previews.

64 bit windows Vista

PP CS4 4.1

I have my virus checker disabled and I haven't installed anything else except pluggins for AE and PP.

To render  45 mins of video up to 6 hrs. This seems a bit long too me.

I've nested a bunch of of AVCHD clips and applied a timecode filter, that's it.

Maybe it's AVCHD, I haven't tried to transcode it into an intermediary format yet.

I have checked my processes and ImporterProcessServer.exe *32 is at 45% - 60% CPU usage.

Adobe Premiere Pro.exe *32 is at 3% CPU usage

Everything else is running at 0%.

Is this enough info?

What can I do if anything to speed it up.

• 1. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The most useful method to speed up any kind of rendering or exporting is to get a faster CPU.

• 2. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
            robsqueen

2009 17" Macbook Pro

4 gig ram

2 harddrives, 7200 rpm hard drive for OS & External Hard (esata) for Video

I'm having the same issue with PP CS4.  I have 1 hour video and it takes 10 hours to encode.  I can take the same video to an older pc using CS3 and have all encoded in 2 pass encoding in less than 2 hours.

What gives?

• 3. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
              John Novotny Level 1

I had a 19 hr export according to the estimation yesterday. I cancelled out of it and restarted and it helped. Also I noticed the estimation is wrong on occasion.This morning I started out with a 5 hr render and now its down to 2.5.

From what i can tell it seems as if both the rendering and export suffer from perodic freezes.

In any case I'm starting to look at Vegas or Speed Edit. I can't be constantly worrying about these kind of issues.

• 4. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Do either of you have Maximum Render Quality set for either the sequence or the export?

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                  tclark513 Level 3

Are you rendering or exporting?  If exporting make sure to disable preview mode in the AME.

• 6. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                    KaiserBoy Level 1

Saying "You need more CPU" does not address the question.  Why post such an answer, Jim?

What we need here is an interesting benchmark of some kind that we all can compare so that we know what to expect from our machines.

Even a rough idea in terms of "frames per second" would be interesting across machines for rendering, and a "minutes per minute of material" export number -- again, both accepted as variable within limits of machine and effects, but useful nonetheless.

I have found that my Quad-Core 6600 system (3 drives, clean system, 16 Gb RAM) renders 1080p 30fps MTS files which have standard color correction that I use at about (and I mean it as an estimate, based on content and effects) three to five frames per second.  The media encoder exports each minute of such material in about six minutes.  A 5-frame per second render rate means that each second of video is taking six seconds of render time, so I would casually call my render rate 6:1 (render time to content time).   My six minutes for one minute of video is close to that same ratio.

It would be easy for one of us to provide a clip and paramaters for us to all compare with.  I could put a clip on my FTP site for anyone to download.  A two minute clip would be fine.  Import, apply an effect, time it.  Export it, time it.  Report results and system build.

Then we could all know what to expect.  I have a huge curiosity regarding what buying a big dual quad system would give me, and I won't do it unless that ratio is below 3.  Just an idea.

• 7. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                      John Novotny Level 1

I'm assuming preview mode is off since I'm not seeing any preview during export.

The 45 min project I rendered this morning is now exporting and estimated time remaining is 6:25:45 and climbing.

I forgot to mention that maximum render quality is off as well.

• 8. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                        John Novotny Level 1

Considering my specs, I should be able to shred through any video, rendering, exporting etc..

Now showing 15hrs and 40min and climbing!!

I'm cancelling it and restarting again.

• 9. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                          robsqueen Level 1

I don't have preview mode on either.  I've tried both exporting using ame and dynamically linking to encore.  Both ways take a very long time. 

• 10. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                            KaiserBoy Level 1

But the question is, how fast SHOULD you be "shredding" through this material?  No one knows.

I would say that it is important to make sure that you don't have something like Defrag on an automatic schedule.  That would really kill your speed.  When I first put Vista on my machines, I did not know that it was automatically running at scheduled times.

Like many have advised here, also, don't have indexing enabled, and antivirus stuff that you have probably already thought of.

You might look at your active programs and services list now and then and compare ... particularly when the estimate doubles all of a sudden.

• 11. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Saying "You need more CPU" does not address the question.  Why post such an answer, Jim?

Because more often than not a faster CPU is the only real way to speed things up.  You assume John is doing something wrong.  But there's really not much a user can do wrong here.  So I assume the current export speed is what it is given John's conditions, and the only way to change it is to get more horsepower.

• 12. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                John Novotny Level 1

Thanks KaiserBoy very good points, although I've read consistently that CS3 beats CS4 in the same environment with the same files. If true, that's pretty pathetic. Not only that it seems to be a cross platform problem so that directly points to an Adobe problem.

A couple of questions. Does it matter where the Media Cache Files are saved? There are 2 settings for Media Cache files, one in PPCS4 Preferences and one in Media Encoder Preferences, they seem to operate independently of each other. Meaning if you set one the other doesn't change. Having changed only one, does this cause a problem?

• 13. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                  John Novotny Level 1

Thanks Jim, but when I choose the system I made sure the specs were more than good enough. The problem is I'm not getting consistent render times when the settings haven't changed. AME seems to hang for long periods.

I'm going to download a Vegas trial and give it a whirl and compare. How's that for a benchmark.

• 14. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    AME seems to hang for long periods.

That seems the norm when using GOP-based media.

• 15. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                      KaiserBoy Level 1

Jim, I know what you mean about CPU, but what I'm trying to find out, and what would help John and countless others, is WHAT IS THE NORM for a particular CPU class.

We would have to align on all side factors (no indexing, no antivirus, no other process competition, RAM, drives) before we could test that.

My whole drift is to find out whether I want to use Premiere Pro CS4 on a PC of any kind with AVCHD media, period, not just asking "Hmmm, how fast/slow is it" and taking my medicine.  Even though I stated that a "3:1" ratio would be my slowest acceptable render/export rate, even THAT is pretty slow.

So then the i7 versus Core 2 Quad becomes a very practical question for probably scores of us, but it is indeed not the only factor here, as John points out.  That other factor is "How is CS4 code written, and why does it take longer and have more problems?"

John may not have read posts here and there that talk abou this re-write that CS4 represents and its changed approaches to processing, but he seems to be experiencing it.

Does anyone know in detail what was changed and why?

• 16. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                        KaiserBoy Level 1

John, I set them independently, as AME is operating on its own, it seems, whether you export from PPro or just use it by itself.

It would be nice to know the mechanics (PC-related process) of rendering and encoding as far as RAM is concerned.  It may slow down when it has to swap rendered RAM and start a fresh batch.  Don't know how it works, really.  I think I can see my RAM limit on playback and during rendering.

• 17. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

KaiserBoy wrote:

What we need here is an interesting benchmark of some kind that we all can compare so that we know what to expect from our machines.

Say no more, if you have Premere Pro CS4 v4.1 and have a PC take a look at my PPBM (Premiere Pro BenchMark)

• 18. Re: Slooooow Render on PP CS4
                                            John Novotny Level 1

I've started transcoding all my AVCHD and especially Canon 7D video (H.264) into AVI using Neo Scene from Cineform and it's made a huge difference. It's also availble for Apple.

Thanks for all your input.