3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2008 7:05 AM by Newsgroup_User

How to make index file with links?

darkman9
      I back up my files to a remote server for obvious reasons. The directory on the server is password protected. Sometimes I want to access those files from work or on the road. But right now to do this I need to enter the complete url that includes the file name (e.g. www.website.com\backups\docs\document.html). How can I use Dreamweaver to map all of these files to an index.htm page so that I can just click a link and download or view the file without having to remember its name. Keep in mind the actual documents are in a separate folder on my hard drive and that most of the files are Word, Excel and what-not.
        • 1. Re: How to make index file with links?
          Level 7
          .oO(darkman9)

>I back up my files to a remote server for obvious reasons. The directory on
          >the server is password protected. Sometimes I want to access those files from
          >work or on the road. But right now to do this I need to enter the complete url
          >that includes the file name (e.g. www.website.com\backups\docs\document.html).

Please use example.com for example URLs, it's reserved for that purpose.

>How can I use Dreamweaver to map all of these files to an index.htm page so
          >that I can just click a link and download or view the file without having to
          >remember its name. Keep in mind the actual documents are in a separate folder
          >on my hard drive and that most of the files are Word, Excel and what-not.

It's not a DW issue, but a server-side thing. On Apache servers all it
          needs is an .htaccess file (if the host allows it) in the download
          directory with this line

Options +Indexes

to enable the directory listing. Don't know about IIS.

Micha
          • 2. Re: How to make index file with links?
            darkman9 Level 1
            Thanks for your response. I checked the .htaccess file in the directory and it already has that line. However when type in the url and enter the correct uid/pwd I just see a blank page headed "Index of files:" but no links or other content even though there are hundreds of folder and files in there. Maybe I should ask my ISP?
            • 3. Re: How to make index file with links?
              Level 7
              .oO(darkman9)

>Thanks for your response. I checked the .htaccess file in the directory and it
              >already has that line. However when type in the url and enter the correct
              >uid/pwd I just see a blank page headed "Index of files:" but no links or other
              >content even though there are hundreds of folder and files in there. Maybe I
              >should ask my ISP?

Yes. Something seems to be wrong in the server configuration.

Micha