5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 6:06 AM by Steve Grisetti

How do I rotate a video clip?

BRUNNHILDE44

I have tried to rotate several video clips that were filmed with my Canon G7 pointing sideways -  but can't find how to do it either within photoshop or premiere. Please advise.

• 1. Re: How do I rotate a video clip?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Place the clip on the timeline, right-click on it and select Show Properties. In the Properties panel, open the properties for Motion. One of them is Rotate.

Unfortunately, unlike stills, you can't rotate video and just save it as a rotated file. You'll need to turn the video on your timeline and then press Enter to complete render the entire clip.

In short, it's probably not a good idea to shoot your video sideways.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I rotate a video clip?
            BRUNNHILDE44 Level 1

Thanks! I have just downloaded Photoshop and Premiere  on a trial basis because they were highly recommended by someone who taught a course on movie making aboard a ship.  However,  I am a bit disappointed so far and and I must say I find them very difficult to use...much more difficult than Windows Movie Maker. I think I will have to find some tutorials before I can get started. I found I could figure out storyboard and timeline on Windows but I just cant get beyond square one with these programs...I can't even find the timeline!

• 3. Re: How do I rotate a video clip?

Unfortunately, the trade-off to having a much deeper and more powerful program is that sometimes it's harder to work, Brunnhilde.

But it's all there -- and more so!

(BTW, you switch from sceneline to timeline mode by clicking on the switch on the My Project panel at the bottom of the interface.)

If you'd like to learn the program(s), there are a number of great resources out there. I've even published books on Premiere Elemets and on the Premiere Elements bundle. (They're available on Amazon.com and from the Muvipix.com product store.)

But it's up to you if it's worth the effort. MovieMaker, after all, may be all you want and need.

But if you want to do really great, amazing, professional style movies -- Premiere Elements is well worth the very small learning curve!

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I rotate a video clip?
                BRUNNHILDE44 Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I will certainly persevere and will check Amazon for the book you mentioned..I always do better with a good guide.

I agree it's worth the effort!

• 5. Re: How do I rotate a video clip?

I think you'll be glad you did, Brunnhilde!

And thank you so much for supporting the book!