9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 5:50 AM by Redsandro

AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close

Redsandro Level 1

Anyone else experiences this, or knows a remedy?

I run Adobe CS3 Master Edition on Windows 7. Ever since the pre-RC beta build 6800 from more than a half year ago all the way up to RC 7100 and 7232. There was never a problem with After Effects.

Now I purchased the RTM (7600), aka the real thing, and now After Effects crashes every time I close a project. Needles to say, this is very annoying.

What is up with that?

_______

Technically, the Adobe forums are the worst ever. It's hard to find a browser that doesn't screw everything up.

• 1. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No idea, as I'm not on W7 yet (simply don't have the money ATM). I've heard of the resurgence of the crash on exit bug for other Adobe apps, though, so this may be the same underlying problem, just a different manifestation. Have you tried running AE in compatibility mode? UAC and DEP turned off? And what system are you running on? 64bit? In any case, I would also not rule out simple permission issues. I would at least check for leftover security identifiers, assuming you upgraded existing installs and did not start with a clean slate. Short of that I'm afraid I'm useless - I really don't have those 300 Euros to try out myself :-|

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
            Redsandro Level 1

Thanks for thinking with me.

I actually did a clean install. Don't know if upgrade is available but I always do clean installs, ironically for the purpose of avoiding conflict and sluggishness. And I do disable UAC on the first boot because it's annoying.

Here's what I tried for compatibility, additively:

Run as administrator
            Start with compatibility mode (Vista)
            Disable desktop composition

About Win7, I don't need bitlocker so Win7 Ultimate is a run with my money, but I did want that XP Mode and a license for that. So I bought Win7 Pro 64 bit. Note that I payed €160 at Amazon.co.uk for a full retail license, having both the 32 and 64 bit dvd in the box.
            Collegues laughed at me though, apparently you can get the same through Online Key Store for €60, seems to be totally legit but you don't get a DVD, just an online download.

My previous OS was XP Pro and I used it for 10 years. I plan to use this for at least 6 years. That's 50 cents per week.

I didn't mess with DEP though. Don't know where to change it, and I think the default is pretty much the same since Vista and the Win7 RC.

But Windows Settings Transfer did copy over my preferences and files from the previous version. Maybe I should try removing the AppData folder for After Effects?

• 3. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
              Redsandro Level 1

Maybe I should try removing the AppData folder for After Effects?

Nope, also doesn't work.

• 4. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close

Well, at the moment I'm living in this state, where I never know whether my salary will be paid next month, so even 160 EUR is a stretch. I will get around to it one day, I'm sure, just as I have managed to buy me that Wacom tablet. Times cannot be that bad forever. Regarding your issue, the one thing that might be of relevance is the last active directory. Can you try and move a project to a different location, then repeat the procedures? Another question would be, how you backed up the files during migration. Were they on a drive that had managed users or just on your average external disk with no users? It would seem that outdated security identifiers are something most Adobe tools cannot cope with. As a test, check the security properties on one of the projects and remove such outdated identifiers (if they are there). It may also help, to simply Take Ownership on the Advanced options of the security tab. I would also preeemptively check your group policies (gpedit.msc). It could be, that some option has been set more rigid than in the previous Betas to "fix" some leak...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
                  Redsandro Level 1

I hope your salary will be secured soon.

Last active directory has always been the same, it's a different drive, no need to backup/copy on reinstallation of Windows.

All files can be fully read and written. If I save before I quit (read: crash), the project is saved.

I don't see the problem with my permissions, but you are definitely on to something. I tried saving the project on my desktop, and then it didn't crash on quit. Save it back in the project folder -> crash on quit.

Here are my permissions for the project folder. Full Control is on overkill.

• Authenticated Users (Full Control)
                  • SYSTEM (Full Control)
                  • Administrators (Full Control)
                  • Users (Read and List only)

The users I use in this case is an administrator and (obviously) also an authenticated user.

I'm pretty good with computers but I've never used gpedit.msc and on first look I cannot see something remotely related to permissions or group settings. All about scripts?

The 'Take Ownership' used to be in the context menu but apparently they removed it on the final version. The properties-permissions sais the owner is S1-1-21-something, which is obviously the previous owner (previous installation of Windows). I changed it to my user, and now it works!

So three things:

1. Thanks!
                  2. Any idea why? It already has 3 times Full Control permissions
                  3. I like to give permissions to the entire drive for everyone (linux: 777), so all subdirs inherit those permissions and when I swap the drive between different computers (or users) I don't have to redo this for all folders I use. Logic sais it's already done by those permissions above, but reality sais AE will crash.
                  • 6. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close

It's due to how Win 2000 and its successors inherited the securtity model from NT server... Owners and users are two different things. It's annoying, but what can you do... Inheritance should be no problem, but if it is, you might check MS' pages for server products. There are a few command line tools that can batch-set such things. I've just lost track, as there are so many of them and MS keeps moving them around on their servers. I'm sure a quick search on the mighty Google can help.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
                      Redsandro Level 1

Very often, if it doesn't crash, I do get a bunch of error messages.

Usually these:

AE Damaged.png

After Effects can't continue: damaged item.

AE Dispose List.png

After Effects error: cannot dispose a read-only list.

Any idea what they mean?

• 8. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close

http://aeerrors.myleniumstuff.de/?p=235

That's what I can offer so far (also look up the otehr 27 :: XX errors). Basically AE is not correctly updating its internal item hierarchy. The reason is very much in the dark, but based on your info, I would assume that it may depend on Windows' media components. Both errors strike me as false alarm more or less, simply due AE not correctly connecting to the external functions. Do you see blank frames occasionally while working? What might help is to tinker with hardware acceleration in Media Player and the settings for legacy CoDecs. W7 uses a completely new architecture, so it may not even like some DirectDraw CoDecs that work without issues on Vista... Perhaps even some registry hack is required somewhere, but you can get better answers on that from other people, undoubtedly.

Mylenium

• 9. Re: AE CS3 crashes in Windows 7 RTM on project close
                          Redsandro Level 1

No blank frames when working, no problems whatsoever during working. Those messages pop up during quit of project close (instead of just crashing) since I tampered with folder permissions to stop AE from crashing.

I tinkered with some codec settings but no price. All my footage is image sequences or MPEG2's though. They are all handled internally. The 'fun' is once again that this all worked fine with all beta's out of the box. This is Windows 7 7600 RTM, pretty much out of the box.

Thanks for the link! It indeed happens more often in bigger projects. I'll check my project item structure.