5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 8:21 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...

robert_zarzal

hi friends,

i'm having difficulty with AE today.  my brushes disappeared (as you can see in the screen grab) and now when i paint, the pain doesn't show up, but when i look for it on the time line, it's there, and upon selecting, the path i drew becomes visible... i know it's there, why can't i see it?  is there a button i need to press to turn it on?  same issue with clone tool...

help!

• 1. Re: brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

The most likely thing is that, in the Paint panel, the duration for the paint strokes is set to "Write On" (see screenshot below). This means that the paint strokes are revealed/animated just as you drew them in time. The reason why you don't see anything is... because you are standing at or before the point in time in which you started drawing the stroke. If you move the CTI/playhead to a later point in the timeline, you should see the paint strokes revealing.

Paint.png

If you want the paint stroke you already created to be displayed consantly rather than write on, you can make sure the "start" and "end" parameters for that brush's stroke options in the timeline are set to 0 and 100 per cent respectively.

Another possibility: the paint strokes have bars to show their location in time, just like layers have. Is it possible that the paint stroke bars are at a different time from when you're standing with the CTI/playhead?

If it's not this, let me know.

• 2. Re: brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...
            robert_zarzal Level 1

the duration has been set to constant or single frame the entire time with with 0 and 100 at start and end and the playhead over an area where it shows the stroke, so i don't think that's the problem.  i use the paint and clone tools all the time, they just stopped working the other day....  any more ideas?

got the brush tips back though (that was simple, just had to restore to defaults)

• 3. Re: brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...

Sorry, I have no idea as those are the most typical reasons why brush strokes are not visible. There must be some odd Paint setting somewhere.

• 4. Re: brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...

If you want, create a simple project that shows this problem (just paint a couple of paint strokes on a solid layer, for example) and e-mail it to me: arozenfe(sign)adobe.com < "at" sign changed to avoid spambots.

• 5. Re: brush strokes show up, but paint doesn't...

Got your project.

The reason why you are not seeing your paint strokes, is because the "Flow" parameter in Stroke options is set to 0. If you raise the value, the paint stroke gradually becomes visible.

These things are sticky, so you may have changed it in the Paint panel at some point without realizing it, and it remained like that.