3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 5:01 PM by Margthecar2

Frozen Video Playback in Adobe Premiere Elements 8

alt10978 Level 1

I have been using the trial version of Premiere Elements and have been thinking about buying it but I have had some problems with it.  When I go to play the video that I imported from my DV camera, the viewer plays a few frames and suddenly freezes.  I can hear the audio but the video does not come back until I pause it.  Then it just shows the last frame.  I tried playing it on other programs such as windows media player and Ulead video studio, and it works fine.  I am impressed with the power of Premiere Elements and am looking forward to editing on it if I can figure out what is wrong.

Here are my system specs.

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor

Ram

2 GB

Operating System

Windows 7 Beta

32-bit operating system

Display

NVIDIA GeForce 6200

Thanks

• 1. Re: Frozen Video Playback in Adobe Premiere Elements 8
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When I go to play the video that I imported from my DV camera, the viewer plays a few frames and suddenly freezes.  I can hear the audio but the video does not come back until I pause it.

You say "Import," but do you mean "Capture?" These are two totally different operations.

Can you tell us more about these AV files? The freeware program, G-Spot, will get you those details.

Similar often happens, when one is not working with DV-AVI files, and often are Importing MJPEG files. For those, you will want to get either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC. If not, more details will be helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Frozen Video Playback in Adobe Premiere Elements 8
            alt10978 Level 1

Thanks for the help but I think I found the problem.  I'm not sure how it helped but when I went into the Edit/Project Settings/General/Playback and chose non for the external device, It started working fine.  Can anyone explain why this might have helped?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Frozen Video Playback in Adobe Premiere Elements 8
              Margthecar2 Level 1

I know this is many years later, but I still use PreE8 to make DVDs from DV-AVI file captures of VHS tapes and just ran into this very problem.   Fortunately, alt10978's discovery selecting NONE for the external device fixed it.   And here is why--after I switched the external device setting to None and normal playback worked again, I realized I still had my my Analog-Digital capture device (an old Sony DV-AVI camera with a bridge/dock) still hooked up AND turned on, and in fact had CREATED the Project with it still on.  Apparently, PrE8 considers this an "external device" and for whatever reason is trying to play to it, not to the PrE8 Edit monitor. Selecting None makes it ignore the external device and playback normally.

As an experiment, I turned off the capture device, created a new Project and imported the same footage and playback was normal.  In the Settings, the DV external device was still selected (not None) but I guess because there is no actual active external device, it does not matter. 

I don't think this is really a bug, more of a fluke, because the same problem does not happen in Premiere CS5 when I leave the capture on. 

Anyway, problem solved, glad it was so simple.