3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2008 6:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

Spry menu bar links in template

Bannana fingers
      I'm new to Deamweaver, so please bear with me if I ask a stupid question...

I have created a template with a spry vertical menu bar in a locked region and made the spry menu bar an editable region as instructed by the pop up when attempting to place the menu bar into an editable region. all is well in the sense that the menu bar is working as expected, I am able to add or remove new navigation buttons change text and CSS rules applying to the menu bar, however the links that I have assigned to the buttons are not being applied to existing pages, but are to new pages based on the template...

Anyone any ideas why?
        • 1. Re: Spry menu bar links in template
          Level 7
          > Anyone any ideas why?

This is how templates work. Changes to the editable regions of Templates DO
          NOT propagate to existing child pages. That's because THEY ARE EDITABLE.
          It's only the non-editable changes that would propagate. That's the basic
          operting principal of templates. If this were not the case, you would never
          be able to have unique content on any page.

Now - you would NEVER want to have your navigation in an editable region
          (well, almost never - you could use a server-side include to place
          page-specific navigation into a child page's editable region). This defeats
          one of the strongest reasons for using Templates.

> made the spry menu bar an editable region as instructed by the pop up when
          > attempting to place the menu bar into an editable region.

Can you help me understand that?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"Bannana fingers" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6cakr$snh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm new to Deamweaver, so please bear with me if I ask a stupid
          > question...
          >
          > I have created a template with a spry vertical menu bar in a locked region
          > and
          > attempting to place the menu bar into an editable region. all is well in
          > the
          > sense that the menu bar is working as expected, I am able to add or remove
          > new
          > navigation buttons change text and CSS rules applying to the menu bar,
          > however
          > the links that I have assigned to the buttons are not being applied to
          > existing
          > pages, but are to new pages based on the template...
          >
          > Anyone any ideas why?
          >

• 2. Re: Spry menu bar links in template
            Bannana fingers Level 1
            What I am see'ing seem to contridict what you are telling me... though I understand what your saying
            To explain, I have a cell in a table on a template file, which is not defined as an editable region. the menu bar has been placed into this cell, so from my understanding this particular cell in pages based on this template are considered locked - non-editable, correct or not..?
            So going back to the template, the menu bar has been placed in the cell and then defined the spry menu bar widget as an editable region, to which I can make changes add new items, sub-item's, change colours, fonts, width, etc which when saved populate to new and existing pages...
            I then set hyperlinks on to each item of the menu bar and saved the template, but these are not propergated to existing pages but are to new pages?

To explain may earlier comment: -
            > attempting to place the menu bar into an editable region.

If I attempt to place a spry menu bar into an editable region in the template a pop up message is displayed stating: -
            You cannot insert this widget into an editable region. Please insert the widget into a locked region and create editable regions inside the widget.

Am I doing something wrong, should I have defined each item within the menu bar as editable, or have I completly missed the mark?
            • 3. Re: Spry menu bar links in template
              Level 7
              > To explain,

The best way to explain is to show us code, not to describe the page.

> so from my
              > understanding this particular cell in pages based on this template are
              > considered locked - non-editable, correct or not..?

Assuming I understand what you are trying to describe, yes.

> So going back to the template, the menu bar has been placed in the cell
              > and
              > then defined the spry menu bar widget as an editable region

OK - now you have lost me again. As soon as you make something editable in
              the Template file, you prevent those changes from being propagated to
              existing child pages.

> I then set hyperlinks on to each item of the menu bar and saved the
              > template,
              > but these are not propergated to existing pages but are to new pages?

Of course, that's how templates work. New child pages are based on the code
              in the current state of the Template, INCLUDING EDITABLE REGIONS. Further
              changes to those editable regions in the TEMPLATE file will not propagate to
              the child pages.

> Am I doing something wrong, should I have defined each item within the
              > menu
              > bar as editable, or have I completly missed the mark?

You have completely missed the mark. Why do you need to make anything in
              the menu editable.

Look - EVERYTHING is editable in the Template page. Only the Editable
              regions are editable on the child pages. You do not need to change the
              menus on the child pages. Thus they should be in the non-editable regions
              of the Template page.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"Bannana fingers" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:g6cico$778$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > What I am see'ing seem to contridict what you are telling me... though I
              > understand what your saying
              > To explain, I have a cell in a table on a template file, which is not
              > defined
              > as an editable region. the menu bar has been placed into this cell, so
              > from my
              > understanding this particular cell in pages based on this template are
              > considered locked - non-editable, correct or not..?
              > So going back to the template, the menu bar has been placed in the cell
              > and
              > then defined the spry menu bar widget as an editable region, to which I
              > can
              > make changes add new items, sub-item's, change colours, fonts, width, etc
              > which
              > when saved populate to new and existing pages...
              > I then set hyperlinks on to each item of the menu bar and saved the
              > template,
              > but these are not propergated to existing pages but are to new pages?
              >
              > To explain may earlier comment: -
              > > made the spry menu bar an editable region as instructed by the pop up
              > > when
              > > attempting to place the menu bar into an editable region.
              >
              > If I attempt to place a spry menu bar into an editable region in the
              > template
              > a pop up message is displayed stating: -
              > You cannot insert this widget into an editable region. Please insert the
              > widget into a locked region and create editable regions inside the widget.
              >
              > Am I doing something wrong, should I have defined each item within the
              > menu
              > bar as editable, or have I completly missed the mark?
              >