7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2008 7:36 AM by barkh_123

Missing Font Error Issues

barkh_123
      I am working on a CD-ROM project that only uses 3 fonts through out the entire project - all helvetica- but as this is a project with multiple designers and the files are two years old, the exact helvetica font is currently missing. I am working on a Mac 10.5.4 and Director MX 2004 V. 10.1.

The error I receive is:
      Missing Fonts - This movie uses fonts that are not available on this system. Director will use a default font to display the following:

Is there a way to trick Director into using the fonts that I want it to use?
      Is there a way to set the default font?
      Is there a way to in bulk change the hundreds of sprites that are accessing the fonts that are missing?
      Is there a way to see the exact font file name that was used for an embedded font?

I have tried installing and embedding the proper fonts, but issues are still arising.

Any ideas for completely removing a font from the director file or for switching fonts in bulk, or even by hand, would be helpful.

I did try to change every font sprite by hand to the font name and size that was available on the computer I am working on. However, when publishing, director still couldn’t find all the fonts and on a Windows computer, the leading and kerning is different and destroys the design's functionality.

Any advise would be helpful. I am at a lost for how to fix this issue.

• 1. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
          Level 7
          You can easily change the name of an embedded font. Find the font in
          the cast and rename it. That's all there is to that. But then you need
          to tell all the text members to use the new font name. Typically,
          embedded fonts will have a * at the end of the name. If they do (which
          they all do by default), then make sure that your text members are in
          fact using the one with the *. If you embed "Helvetica *" but your text
          member is using "Helvetica" (no star), then you will have problems if
          "Helvetica" is not on the local machine.

You should be able to find some helpful scripts around the web if you
          search. Here are a few that may help from mediamacros.

http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1006687631/

http://www.mediamacros.com/item/item-1006687633/
          • 2. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
            barkh_123 Level 1
            I think the second link "Replace embedded fonts in text/field and button members" might be what I am looking for. Can you help direct me how to utilize this script?

I have copied and pasted the script into a movie script in my Director file. I am unsure what to do next.

The link says:
            To use:
            -- from the message window
            -- replaceEmbeddedFont("Arial *", "Arial")

Where can I find the message window?
            Also, where do I type in the specific font and name I am looking to change?

Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
              Level 7
              You can display the message window by clicking Window, Message (PC
              keyboard shortcut = ctrl-m. Mac keyboard shortcut= cmd-m)

in the message window, you would type something like this:

replaceEmbeddedFont("Arial *", "Arial")

That would find all the text, field, and button members that use the
              "Arial *" font (which would be the embedded version) and replace them
              all with Arial (non-embedded). Change those font names as needed for
              your particular issue

The other script I pointed you to will simply list all the text and
              field members that use any given font so you can manually set them up.
              • 4. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
                barkh_123 Level 1
                Okay this makes sense. I'm not sure its working.

I type in the message box:
                replaceEmbeddedFont("#HelveticaNeue-Roman *", "Helvetica Neue")
                and nothing happens. Do I need to push run or give a run command?

Do I need to do something special with my script cast member? Right now its just sitting in my cast.
                • 5. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
                  barkh_123 Level 1
                  Okay this makes sense. I'm not sure its working.

I type in the message box:
                  replaceEmbeddedFont("#HelveticaNeue-Roman *", "Helvetica Neue")
                  and nothing happens. Do I need to push run or give a run command?

Do I need to do something special with my script cast member? Right now its just sitting in my cast.
                  • 6. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
                    Level 7
                    If you did not get an error message after entering that command (and
                    hitting Enter), then it probably worked. Look at your text members and
                    see if their font is set to the one you want it to be.

The ones that were previously set to "#HelveticaNeue-Roman *" should now
                    be set to "Helvetica Neue". Did your original font have a # sign in
                    front of it? That is unusual, though not impossible. And of course this
                    command you used will assume that the computers it is running on have
                    the "Helvetica Neue" font installed on them. That is not a standard
                    font, so it is not assured that it will be installed, unless it is a
                    kiosk that you have control over or something.
                    • 7. Re: Missing Font Error Issues
                      barkh_123 Level 1
                      Okay all of the above posts have worked and saved me a lot of time. Thank you.

Now, the embedded fonts I need are Helvetica Neue and Arial Black. On my machine the font files are extensions dfont and a font suitcase file. - could that be the reason the projector's fonts on other machines (PCS and MAC's) still change? Do I need to convert to a certain type of font file before embedding? Perhaps ttf?

Also in the font change script, can I denote bold in this?