7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2014 2:26 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?

jezzthisisfull Level 1

Hi is there a shortcut key to move the time indicator to where the cursor is?  Thanks...

• 1. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

What do you mean by cursor? You mean move the Current Time Indictator to where the mouse pointer is?

• 3. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?

Well, just clicking with your mouse in the time ruler will move the current time indicator to where the mouse pointer is in the timeline. And if the mouse pointer is not hovering over the time ruler (the part where the seconds and frames are, at the top of the timeline), then the pointer really can't be a measure of time. In fact, you could say the CTI is the cursor for time

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?
              jezzthisisfull Level 1

there isn't a shortcut to avoid moving the mouse up to the top of the timeline in order to move the CTI to where the mouse was???

when editing a jumble of keyframes and layers it would seem useful to be able to just hit a shortcut command to bring the time indicator to where the cursor is pointing...rather than possibly loose one's place and spend time shuffling through the timeline to find the right location for a CTI edit, etc

just a thought...I'm adjusting a lot of layers without necessarily moving the CTI to view every step

• 5. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?

I understand, but bear in mind that when the pointer is not hovering over the time ruler, it really is doing things that are not time-related. What would such a command do if the pointer is sitting over the Comp panel, or floating around the Effects control panel, for example? I am not aware of any time-based application that does this, and this is also why for all purposes the Current Time Indicator is the cursor, for time-related operations.

As always, feel free to file a feature request explaining why you want this and how you expect it to work.

• 6. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?
                  augustjames

Is this really not possible to this day!?

I just started using AE today. I definitely don't want to be clicking in the time ruler all the time.

I want the time selector to jump to any point on the timeline my mousepointe ris at upon keypress on keyboard.

This way when editing keyframes I do not first have to move the time selector to the current time by dragging and dropping always observing whether i am finally exactly on the time point of the keyframe.

I want to simply hover the keyframe (or any frame for that matter), and then press a button so the time pointer jumps to exactly that point.

Please help me find that function, otherwise AE is useless to me. I am currently spending at least 15% of my time clicking about in the time ruler. That is a huge waste of time!

• 7. Re: Shortcut key to move time indicator to cursor?
                    Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

augustjames, two tips that may help you:

1. Holding the shift key while dragging the CTI (Current Time Indicator) will snap the CTI to significant visible objects in the timeline: keyframes, layer in/out points, work area in/out, markers, etc.

2. The J and K keys moves the CTI to the previous or next significant visible object.

Also, you can move the CTI to a specific time with Alt/Option + Shift + J. Note that in this panel you don't have to type in the whole time string: "1.00" will move the CTI to the frame at 00;00;01;00. Also, you can use relative values: "+10" will move the CTI 10 frames forward, while "+-10" will move the CTI 10 frames backwards. ("-10" would take you into negative time, which is why you need to use "+-".)

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/keyboard-shortcuts-reference.html

If there's additional functionality you'd like to see, please submit a feature request: http://adobe.ly/feature_request