4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 2:24 PM by the_wine_snob

Pre Elements 7 crashing/freezing and blurry video ... please help

Frustrated Again Level 1

I've only just realised there's loads about this problem, didn't know before purchase, and it seems there's loads of forum posts if you search but it's too much to trawl through so thought I'd ask, so please help if you can?

I just wanted to do some simple editing, I have some video clips taken with a Viosport POV1.5 headcam, I have an old version of Premiere 6.0 but the clips will not work on that so decided to get a reduced price Premiere Elements 7, but it keeps crashing, I'm not even trying to do something complicated, just edit out the bits I don't want, and it seems that when I change between menus on the top right where it has 'Organise, Edit, Disc Menus, Share' that's when it happens. Has this problem of freezing crashing ever been resolved and how? At the moment windows movie maker is doing a better job of editing. The original files are quite big but I'm editing them to smaller files/videos. I've a screen shot of the message I get, this was with a 38 second clip.

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/fidgetmonkey/Premierescreenshot01.jpg[/IMG]

Also, the video quality is not as good as the original, again windows media player does a better job of playing them, is there some settings I need to tweek or alter? I'm afraid I'm not someone that knows all about the different settings or file extentions, I thought it would be as easy as load the clip, edit, output? Here's another screenshot although it may be difficult to tell the difference but there's the Premiere and the windows media player together and the windows is sharper and clearer. Suggestions please?

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/fidgetmonkey/Premierescreenshot.jpg[/IMG]

• 1. Re: Pre Elements 7 crashing/freezing and blurry video ... please help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The problem is that you're trying to use a non-standard video codec -- possibly a proprietary codec created for the headcam -- into a program that's not equipped to handle it. (There may also be resoution issues. I couldn't find specs on the video it shoots.) I believe it shoots in MP4, although like the Flip and other low-end "webbie" cams, that may or may not be AVCHD. Most likely not.

The FAQs to the right of this forum do offer suggestions for converting this video to a more editable format -- but they may not keep it in hi-def and, in fact, I can't even guarantee they'll work. Best bet is likely Quicktime Pro, which costs $29 but does include some editing functions of its own.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

The program does, apparently, come with its own editing software. And that it always your best choice for editing, since it is built around whatever codecs it is using.

• 2. Re: Pre Elements 7 crashing/freezing and blurry video ... please help
            Frustrated Again Level 1

Thanks for the reply Steve, I run a bit of video from the headcam through G-Spot and it comes out as 'Codec: XVID Name: XviD ISO MPEG-4'

And, thanks for the link, following that I converted a file using Windows Movie Maker to DV-AVI and used that file to put in Premiere which, so far and cross fingers, is ok, and the quality is very close, if not the same, to the original footage.

I've been running it and just clicking on things for about the last 10 minutes and it's ok, if it does go wrong or freeze/crash again I'll be back.

Otherwise I think problem solved ... easy when you know how eh?

• 3. Re: Pre Elements 7 crashing/freezing and blurry video ... please help
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Great if it does work for you, Frustrated. That's one odd codec!

But it could be you've found a simple solution.

• 4. Re: Pre Elements 7 crashing/freezing and blurry video ... please help
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I run a bit of video from the headcam through G-Spot and it comes out as 'Codec: XVID Name: XviD ISO MPEG-4'

The problem is that Xvid and DivX (commercial version of the Xvid open-source) are delivery formats/CODEC's and are not designed to be edited. The choice to use these is based on a very highly compressed format, that is also a GOP scheme, with I-frames only about every 15 frames. The file sizes are small and the quality for display is acceptable. No camera mfgr. should be using such schemes, if there is any hint that a user might wish to edit that footage.

Conversion of the format will get the material into an NLE, but that original high-compression will still hurt the end quality. There is no way around this loss.

I would strongly recommend against using any recording device that uses Xvid, or DivX, if one ever wishes to edit that footage.

Good luck,

Hunt