12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 8:57 PM by aarongabbard

Premier Pro won't play video

TheCraiger87

O got a new computer and downloaded Adobe Premier. when I go to use it, a window pops up and says "The currently installed soundcard driver does not support Direct Sound Input. Recording audiois not possible". So I enter Premier anyway and import a video, it plays the audio and shows the soundwave in the editing window but won't show video. The sound card is RealTek. i have updated it, still same thing. Suggestions?

• 1. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
          VPTraining Level 1

I think you are in the wrong Premier forum, but it sounds like you are missing the correct video codec. This is a little "decoder" needed to interpret the video file format so to speak. Find out what was used to make the video and you will likely get it from that source as a download.

• 2. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
            Jim_Simon Level 8

import a video

Where did you get the video?  Premier Pro is a professional level NLE, and has a tendency to work best with standard camera formats.  Non-professionals who wish to edit Internet videos, YouTube downloads and video game captures may be frustrated using software at this level.  A consumer editor may prove easier.

• 3. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
              TheCraiger87 Level 1

It has nothing to do with my video. The window that says "The currently installed sound card driver does not support Direct Sound Input" appears before I import a video. And no, i am not trying to edit videos for YouTube.

• 4. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                VPTraining Level 1

The video portion of the video does not play, but you get the sound despite the messages. I would say it has a lot to do with your video. Is it an AVI, MPEG, M2T or one of many others?

Five minutes before your post, I had an AVI video that gave me sound, but no video in Windows Madia Player. The video was made in a program called Camtasia by Techsmith. I went to Techsmith, downloaded the codec and installed it. Now the video plays perfect and I can make needed edits in Premier Pro CS4. Not an Adobe matter at all. So that is all I can tell you about codecs.

Now I will get back to work, I hope this helped in some way.

• 5. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

It has nothing to do with my video.

You said the audio works but the video doesn't.  That sounds like it has something to do with your video.  More often than not, the reason for this is people trying to edit media not well suited for editing.

The reported error is likely not connected to this issue.

i am not trying to edit videos for YouTube.

I've no quarrel with "for".  It's the "from" crowd I was speaking about.

• 6. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have the Realtek chip. Is your driver the very latest? It should be.

What are your Audio Hardware settings, especially the ASIO settings?

If you cannot find adequate Audio Hardware settings to work, then you might want to try ASIO4ALL, and point PrPro to it for both Input & Output. This has solved many Audio issues, including some very esoteric hardware issues.

Now, for the part where your Video does not play, please give us the full details of these source files. If you need to gather that info, G-Spot will give it all to you. When Video does not play, but Audio does, it is very often something like the Xvid, or DivX CODEC. These files must be converted before Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Out of curiosity, what version of PrPro are you using? I'm hesitant to post screen-caps of my Audio Hardware (w/ Realtek chip) settings, as there have been some changes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

TheCraiger87 wrote:

O got a new computer and downloaded Adobe Premier.

Is this a trial version that you downloaded.  It does not include anything to do with MPEG.  If the video is MPEG encoded that is the reason.

• 10. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                          TheCraiger87 Level 1

I converted the video from mpeg to avi using Movavi Video converter. I really don't think it has anything to do with the video. I had the same thing happen with another computer I bought a year ago. The same window appreared that said "The currently installed sound card driver does not support Direct Sound Input. Recording is not possible". It would appear when I would click Premier, even before I imported a video. With the other computer I called Adobe and someone there had me down load something fo free that made it work, I just don't remeber what. Thanks for trying to help me. --- 

• 11. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I really don't think it has anything to do with the video.

I really do.

Try capturing some DV media from a tape-based MiniDV camera and working with that.

The audio error, in the past, has not interrupted video playback, but has only affected the recording of an audio only signal directly into Premiere, such as a VO.  Since that is not the issue being discussed, I still think the audio error is irrelevant to your issue here.

• 12. Re: Premier Pro won't play video
                              aarongabbard Level 1

I seem to have the same problem with my Program Saying "the currently installed sound card does not support direct sound input" I just so happen to have the RealTek Sounds Card that came with the Toshiba Satellite A215. The Only way i can get the program to work Currectly is to plug up a Microphone, I never had this Problem with XP, Also it doesnt seem to be a Driver issue considering I have updated my Driver, My Personal opinion is that its VISTA turning something on that XP Didn't (Thinking its the Voice Recognition) But Even when you disable the microphone, Update the drivers and Even do a Complete Uninstal reinstall nothing seems to help. I have even downloaded ASio4all, Which also Doesnt work. I did notice however that the same Issue happens when using Adobe Audition, BUT it Asio4all Fixed Auditions problem.

If anyone has found a fix for this problem Please let me know, I seem to be getting aggravated by having to plug a Microphone in the front of my laptop all the time.