8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 9:41 PM by shunithD

Font Preview Not Working AI CS4

Patrick | PV Design

I am running Adobe CS4 Master Collection on Windows Vista 64bit and my font preview feature is not working Illustrator. I have tried disabling and then re-enabling the missing glyph protection. And I am still only able to see the preview from the actual font menu and not the character palette. Any Ideas?

• 1. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
          shunithD Level 3

Patrick | PV Design wrote:

I am running Adobe CS4 Master Collection on Windows Vista 64bit and my font preview feature is not working Illustrator. I have tried disabling and then re-enabling the missing glyph protection. And I am still only able to see the preview from the actual font menu and not the character palette. Any Ideas?

As far as i am aware, you can't see the font previews from the Character Palette. You can only see it from the Main Menu: Type -> Font

• 2. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
            Patrick | PV Design Level 1

Adobe Illustrator does have font preview in the character palette.

• 3. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
              Jesseham Level 4

As far as I know, there is no way to preview from the control bar - just from the character panel. (and type -> font as mentioned above)

• 4. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
                shunithD Level 3

Patrick | PV Design wrote:

Adobe Illustrator does have font preview in the character palette.

Not getting it in the Character Palette... how do you enable / see it? Is it a pref setting?

• 5. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
                  Jesseham Level 4

Yeap, under the type preferences - "font preview"

Screen shot 2009-10-30 at 8.07.13 AM.jpg

• 6. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
                    shunithD Level 3

Nope, i'm missing something... my settings (in the Preferences) are identical to your example. But can only see the font preview through the Type -> Font route.

Nothing in the Character Palette nor the Control bar...

Edit: WinXP Pro SP3

• 7. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
                      Jesseham Level 4

You've sidetracked Patrick's thread here, but try unchecking the "enable glyph protection" checkbox in the type prefs.  If that works, then you may have a corrupt font.  (you will not see them in the control bar - as I said above, that's not an option.)

• 8. Re: Font Preview Not Working AI CS4
                        shunithD Level 3

Jesseham wrote:

You've sidetracked Patrick's thread here, but try unchecking the "enable glyph protection" checkbox in the type prefs.  If that works, then you may have a corrupt font.  (you will not see them in the control bar - as I said above, that's not an option.)

Jesseham...

I don't see how i've sidetracked Patrick's thread... i seem to be facing the same situation he is.

Anyway, did what you suggested... turned off the glyph protection... no preview in Character palette... turned on glyph protection... no change. BTW, this is in both CS3 & CS4. There must be something i'm doing wrong or some other setting... We're talking about the Character palette that has the Paragraph tab next to the Character tab... right? I get the font list there with no preview of what the fonts look like. Only in Type -> Fonts on the main menu do i see the preview...

(And yes, i am aware that the font preview doesn't show up in the control bar – i was just reiterating the fact )