4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 7:37 AM by shunithD

Activation question

4to

hello. if i buy the american version of adobe illustrator cs4 while on holiday would i be ableto bring it back to the uk and use here?

• 1. Re: Activation question
          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello 4to,

Well, I know the States price is cheaper, but Adobe is paranoic and does have problems letting other people activated States license in Europe.

Plus consider the activation nightmares that users have:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback

Plus the new CS5 is due on April (Adobe's 18 month cycle)

Sometimes cheaper will be more expensive in the long run. But is your decision and I hope a lot more users will give you more opinions.

Good Luck!

• 2. Re: Activation question
            shunithD Level 3

As far as i'm aware, you can activate it... but you won't get local support. You'll have to contact US support for all issues... Hopefully, someone with more info will chip in...

• 3. Re: Activation question
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

if i buy the american version of adobe illustrator cs4 while on holiday would i be ableto bring it back to the uk and use here?

Well, if customs lets you and you have a handle on their fees and taxes... That aside, I can only advise against it. The problem you will be facing is, that for every single upgrade you will have to get an US version in the future, which you cannot order everywhere, least of all Adobe. Because of shipping cost and the mentioned customs procedures that may become ineffective, and, since Adobe do not endorse this policy, you may end up having to buy from a questionable dealer. In any case, with all of that you are on your own, as you forfeit any regional support and would have to call to the US, should activation problems arise or you have a damaged media. Activation and use as such should not be a problem. It's really up to you to decide on this. If it's for business, this point should be utterly moot, as you can tax-deduct it and the price difference shouldn't matetr much. I'd only do it as a privateer, but even then only, if I plan to spend the money only oince and never upgrade. I'm not too interested in getting myself into troubles beyond what I already do, if you get my meaning.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Activation question
                shunithD Level 3

Mylenium wrote:

I'd only do it as a privateer, but even then only, if I plan to spend the money only oince and never upgrade.

Privateer? Did you mean private user? Privateer is another word for pirate