2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2008 9:28 PM by Newsgroup_User

Template Help

9thReg Level 1
      Hello all,

I'm working on making a web site as easy to update as possible. I've got this site set up with PHP and MySQL using dreamweaver 8.

I've set it up with a template so all pages can be updated and identical to every other page in design and layout. Is there a way to set up a template so that when I update the template, all I need to do is upload the template and not need to update all the pages then upload all of the updated pages? Is there something other than a template that I should be using to do this? I've thought about using CSS but can't figure out how to get this to work (especially since I've got a sticky footer that stays at the bottom of the window unless there is so much text to push the footer below the bottom of the page). I really like the fact that I can get a page set up and simply apply the template to it inside of the editable region (since there is so much that will be the same throughout the entire site). Therefore, I would like to have a template that only a difference in the editable text of the body of the page; however, only need to update then upload the template to change the entire site. Is this something that can be done?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Template Help
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional
          This is a common dilemma for growing sites. Unfortunately, this is not something that Dreamweaver is capable of out-of-the-box. What you are looking to do is create a database driven site. This is where the template is updated from the bits in the database which creates the pages. This is where you pretty much make a CMS (Content Management System). If you have not done a lot of programming before this is not something I would recommend learning as a first program. There are plenty of CMS solutions out there that can help you get this type of setup going if you are interested in taking this path.
          • 2. Re: Template Help
            Level 7
            > Is there a way to set up a template so
            > that when I update the template, all I need to do is upload the template
            > and
            > not need to update all the pages then upload all of the updated pages?

No. Templates operate only on your local computer, not the server.

>Is there something other than a template that I should be using to do this?

Yes. Look into using server-side-includes for the pieces of the page (e.g.
            menu) you want to be able to change once and have the changes propagate to
            all pages. Use DW Help (F1) and search on server side includes.

--

Walt

"9thReg" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g5e8t4$6e6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello all,
            >
            > I'm working on making a web site as easy to update as possible. I've got
            > this site set up with PHP and MySQL using dreamweaver 8.
            >
            > I've set it up with a template so all pages can be updated and identical
            > to
            > every other page in design and layout. Is there a way to set up a
            > template so
            > that when I update the template, all I need to do is upload the template
            > and
            > not need to update all the pages then upload all of the updated pages? Is
            > there something other than a template that I should be using to do this?
            > I've
            > thought about using CSS but can't figure out how to get this to work
            > (especially since I've got a sticky footer that stays at the bottom of the
            > window unless there is so much text to push the footer below the bottom of
            > the
            > page). I really like the fact that I can get a page set up and simply
            > apply
            > the template to it inside of the editable region (since there is so much
            > that
            > will be the same throughout the entire site). Therefore, I would like to
            > have
            > a template that only a difference in the editable text of the body of the
            > page;
            > however, only need to update then upload the template to change the entire
            > site. Is this something that can be done?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >