4 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 2:34 PM by jorgeseptien

illustrator cs4 application icon disappeared...

sloerentetsen

Hello,

Recently the illustrator application icon has dissapeared on me...

I'm running win7 64bit.

I've found several threads discussing this problem in Vista with cs2 and cs3, but no solutions...

Has this problem been solved?

If so, how do I get that icon back?

thnx,

S

• 1. Re: illustrator cs4 application icon disappeared...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          If so, how do I get that icon back?

You create a new shortcut in your start menu by finding the original executable (C:\Program Fiels\Adobe\Illustrator CS4). And those icons do not really disappear. Either the OS hides them based on your start menu settings after a while of non-usage or they are si9mply inaccesible due to user account policies, both things that can be easily solved.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: illustrator cs4 application icon disappeared...
            sloerentetsen Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thanks for the response!

Removing and re-adding the link to the taskbar doesn't solve the problem unfortunately...

I don't think it has anything to do with the taskbar, because the icon is also gone (i.e. replaced by an "unknown item" icon) in windows explorer.

There is a .ico file (AI_Application_Icon.ico) in the support files\contents\windows folder that does display the icon, but the illustrator.exe file does not.

Also changing illustrator.exe icon to this .ico file has no effect.

I'm also running illustrator as an administrator with full rights (tried every other way of running it, to no avail...).

What's more, all my other cs4 applications don't have this problem...

I use illustrator all the time, so don't think non usage is the reason either.

I'm at a loss :'(

S

• 3. Re: illustrator cs4 application icon disappeared...
              sloerentetsen Level 1

It's kinda strange though, all the other icons embedded in the illustrator.exe file work.

It's just the first one (the orange square with "Ai") that displays an unknown document icon...

Exept when I pull up the properties window (rightclick on the executable), there the icon does show.

Is this halloween related maybe?

Seriously though, any thoughts anyone?

• 4. Re: illustrator cs4 application icon disappeared...
                jorgeseptien Level 1

I just had a similar thing happen to me.  I was right-click dragging the Adobe product icons from the All Programs list in Windows 7 to the desktop.  I inadvertently dragged the icon for Illustrator and it changed to a blank icon on my desktop.  I right-clicked and noticed that the icon was correct in the properties box preview, but not on the desktop.  I then clicked on Change Icon and changed it to another icon and clicked apply and OK and finally had an icon.  I then repeated this procedure and selected the original icon.  Now it looks correct.  I hope this helps.