6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2009 4:54 PM by the_wine_snob

What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?

phlynch3

I often need to make titles that are a full page of text.  After rendering, the quality of the fonts and legibility is usually somewhat poor.  Any recommendations for font type, and other settings for the font if you need to have a full page of text that will get rendered out in .wmv and .mov

Size of the font will depend upon how much text i need on the screen.  Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will cover many of the high-points.

I am a fan of using bold san-serif fonts, and depending on the amount of text and how used, like sizes of around 36 - 48 pt. Leading can be very helpful to add to readability. I also use a touch of Horizontal Blur (a tiny amount) to stop any "shimmer" with thinner fonts. I choose a very light grey, in lieu of pure white, or very dark grey, in lieu of pure black - the 16 & 236 settings work fine for me, unless I need colored type.

For intricate Title projects, I do these in PS and Import as .PSD's sized to exactly the dimensions/PAR of my Project. PS has a series of Presets for most common Video dimensions and PAR's.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - two great articles on Titles and Menus for Video are now dead. This is too bad, as each had great tips. I only wish that I had done a PDF of each of those.

• 2. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
            phlynch3 Level 1

thanks for the fast response.

since i usually have alot of text on the page, i will try the Photoshop import.  Do you think this is usually the best.  I haven't checked the Photoshop menus yet as not at my computer but any additional guidance on tips for this in PS prior to import.  thanks again

• 3. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I also recommend Title Design Essentials for Film & Video, Mary Plummer, Peachpit Press, ISBN 10: 0-321-44576-7/13:0-321-44576-6. Lot of great tips and ideas there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
                phlynch3 Level 1

sorry, one more thing.  What are the 16 and 2536 setting you mentioned. thanks

• 5. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Most of my Projects are SD and either Standard (4:3), or Widescreen (16:9), so I use the New Image (Ctrl+N) and choose, say NTSC 720x480 Standard (4:) PAR 0.9 w/ Guides. One of the nice features in the PS Character's Palette is Kerning (though somewhat limited, compared to InDesign).

Often, I will do all Title text in WordPerfect/Word and then Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V (Copy/Paste) to my Title "template" in PS. I use the wordprocessors for Spellcheck, as I am not the best in that respect. I just name appropriately, and do a Save_As (.PSD) to my Project's Title sub-folder for Import into PrPro. I will also set my Edit>Preferences>Still Duration to about what I need in PrPro, so on Import, these come in at about the right Duration.

I also allow for 1.5x the time to read the Title, and will "test-read" each one, to make sure that I have adequate Duration. This becomes more critical, when the amount of text forces one much below about 38 pt. If there are obscure terms, technical data, etc., I migh bump this Duration up to 2x to give the audience enough time to think about a word, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: What is best approach for good legible titles/fonts?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The 16 - 235 idea is that you do not end up with "superwhites," or "superblacks," and in stead shades of grey to match what the output to DVD-Video will be. Basically, it translates to less grey than 255 (for white), and more grey than 0 (for black). I will usually set my colors in PS to these figures, and toggle between very dark grey (R=16, G=16, B=16) and very light grey (R=235, G=235, B=235).

If I typed 2356, that was a mistake. It should be 235 (or 236) - my bad!

Good luck,

Hunt