4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 9:14 PM by justoliver

Image Hover Popup

justoliver Level 1

Does anyone know how to create a hover function which shows a larger version of an image thumbnail when the mouse hovers over the thumbnail?

Thanks

Oliver

• 1. Re: Image Hover Popup
          flexprad09 Level 2

If you are asking that property of controls which fires mouse event when its hovered its.  MouseOver, MouseOut and RollOver , RollOut Respectively for in n out.

I prefer to use RollOver and RollOut though MouseOver and MouseOut is also similar.

Only difference i figured out is that it sometimes causes flcikering problem when moved over edges in MouseOver and MouseOut case.

Check this link for Difference between two.

http://polygeek.com/1519_flex_the-difference-between-rollover-and-mouseover

You can use states to achieve your functionality.

this example can help

http://flexscript.wordpress.com/2008/08/14/flex-roll-over-image-with-link-component/

If this post answers your question mark it as such.

Cheers,

PRad.

• 2. Re: Image Hover Popup
            justoliver Level 1

Thanks Prad - the link is informative.

I understand the available events that can be used however my main question

is to find out if there is a simple way to add a blowup image on mouseover

and then remove it on mouseout. I thought about using the popup classes but

since this is disables any click events, i avoided this.

The link you provided looks intersting - i will look into this.

I am a little surprised that this hasn't been covered being a common type of

functionality.

• 3. Re: Image Hover Popup
              Matt Le Fevre Level 4

justoliver wrote:

Does anyone know how to create a hover function which shows a larger version of an image thumbnail when the mouse hovers over the thumbnail?

Thanks

Oliver

i've currently have a similar system like this.

the way i've set it up is to display a tooltip when the mouse is hovering over the image, and i add a new Image area as a child to the tooltip, reading from the same source as the image already there.

very simple, and gets the job done.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Image Hover Popup
                justoliver Level 1

Thanks Griz...

That pointed me in th right direction. Instead I used a custom tooltip which had the image inside a panel (using the toolTipCreate event). This worked perfectly.

But... my next issue was to reposition the tooltip if it went over the stage. I used a toolTipShown event to move the tooltip. This worked fine for static coordinates but caused a flicker for a dynamic y coordinate which gets set in the toolTipCreate event. It seems that the toolTipCreate event gets called everytime the mouse moves and thus causes the flicker ... but I am not 100% sure.

Have you or anyone else encountered this or have a solution to dynamically reposition tooltips based on the stage height?