4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2008 10:29 AM by tjonesUMUC

URL Encoding Special Characters

tjonesUMUC
      I'm using Flash 8 ActionScript2 and trying to display special characters in an external html file. On the HTML URL-Encoding Reference List ( http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/ref_urlencode.asp) only the "URL-encoding from %00 to %8f" special characters are displaying. I can't seem to get the "URL-encoding from %90 to %ff" special characters to display. Does anyone know why this is happening.
        • 1. Re: URL Encoding Special Characters
          <'Im using Flash 8 ActionScript2 and trying to display special characters in an external html file.

- Dont you mean "display special character in a text field that renders as html??

Here´s some answer to that question when you have problem with special character:

1. Try to embedd the fonts from that special language (EMBEDD)
          2. Or you can try WINDOWS - OTHER PANELS - STRINGS
          3. Install that special character on your windows system.

:-)

• 2. Re: URL Encoding Special Characters
            tjonesUMUC Level 1
            I'm not using a text field per sa, the ActionScript is calling the dynamic text file which is an html file. I've attached the code. Is this the reason why some of the special characters are not showing up. If I create a dynamic text field, and in the properties inspector select Render as HTML button, would this resolve my problem? Since I'm not using a dynamic text filed, I'm not quite sure how I would add the text file with the ActionScript I'm using. Any help is greatly appreciated.
            • 3. Re: URL Encoding Special Characters
              Try this:

this.createTextField("textBox", this.getNextHighestDepth(), 0, 0, 435, 318);
              textBox.multiline = true;
              textBox.wordWrap = true;
              textBox.textColor = 0xFFFFFF;
              textBox.html = true;
              textBox.condenseWhite = true;

//Load extenal html
              var textBoxContent:LoadVars = new LoadVars();
              textBoxContent.onData = function(sHTMLData:String):Void {
              textBox.htmlText = sHTMLData;
              };

//Create a CSS stylesheet object
              var cssStyles:TextField.StyleSheet = new TextField.StyleSheet();
              cssStyles.onLoad = function():Void {
              //This css style applied to the textBox
              textBox.styleSheet = this;
              textBoxContent.load("your.html");
              };
              //Load external css-file
              cssStyles.load("styles.css");

:-)
              • 4. Re: URL Encoding Special Characters
                tjonesUMUC Level 1
                I tried the code you suggested below. As before, some of the special characters display, and some do not. For example, those that display are %ae, %2b, and %26, and those that do not are %97, %96 and %95. If anyone can solve this issue, I would appreciate.