11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 2:30 PM by Fabfen1

Premier Elements 2 Crashing

Fabfen1

I have used Premiere Elements 2 for years without a problem, editing movies of upto 50 minutes.  All of a sudden, with a project that is only 9 minutes long, error messages flash up telling me that Prem Elements is running low on system memory and the computer crashes.  I can only do about 2 things to the timeline before the system decides it can't cope.  IT IS GETTING RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!  Now, i am not a computer geek, so i have no idea what i am doing wrong but i do know that my computer has enough RAM to cope.  I've also had ' Debug Error.  Abnormal program termination'.  What is going on???  And why, is it happening now when i have never had a problem before????

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assume you're working on an older XP machine. Premiere Elements 2 will not run on Vista or Windows 7.

That said, if it used to work but suddenly you're having problems, the most likely reason is that your hard drive is filling up and/or defragmenting. How much free space is on your C drive? You really shouldn't operate a program this intensive with less than 30 gigabytes free -- much more, if you're also storing your video and project files on your C drive -- and that should be defragmented weekly. (You should also be running at least 2 gigabytes of RAM.)

Temp files can also fill your drive up invisibly. Advanced System Care is free from IOBit software and it will clear off those temp files and clean up your registry.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

And don't forget to defragment also!

And do make sure you've got all of your Windows updates. Go to Windows Update manually and get even the non-critical updates. Then go to the Apple web site and make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

There could also be issues with your source files -- but we can cross that bridge once you get your software in order.

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
            Fabfen1 Level 1

Yup, I am working with XP.  My hard drive isn't filling up.  I have 227GB

free space and I'm running 3.25GB of RAM.  I've just had the whole computer

cleaned up because I was experiencing this problem.  I exit from all

anti-virus, spyware and close anything that is running in the background.

The computer still crashes after about 30 seconds of opening this one

project in Premiere.  I can't even burn it to a folder or DVD.  An encoding

error pops up at about 3%.  This is so frustrating.  I did think that maybe

it was the source files.

What do you think?

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing

What are your source files? What type of camcorder did they come from and how did you get them into your computer?

And did you take my advice about manually updating the key software and drivers in your system? Particularly if the program used to work but suddenly doesn't, outdated drivers and firmware and Quicktime are likely causes.

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>think that maybe it was the source files

Likely right... you can't play an 8" pizza in a CD player... so, as already asked, what ARE your source files?

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help
                First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
                If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
                  Fabfen1 Level 1

My camcorder is a Canon MV500i with a mini DV cassette and I use a Firewire

connection to capture the footage onto the computer.  However, for this

particular film edit I also used somebody else's film footage taken from a

digital camera.  This footage had been put onto a memory stick for me to

import into Premiere.  Do you think this is where the problem is?

Thanks for your help, by the way.

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing

If you're using a miniDV connected by FireWire, you should have no problem editing on a machine like this.

Provided you've updated it, per my earlier posts, cleared off your temp files and defragmented your drives.

You may also want to go to Edit/Preferences/Media Cache and clear your media cache.

Then, when you launch the program, hold down the left side Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys to clear up any other corruptions that may have crept in.

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
                      Fabfen1 Level 1

I have done absolutely everything you have suggested and I still have a

problem.  It crashes after 30 seconds of opening.  I can't even view what

I've done in the timeline.  I tried to burn what I've done to DVD and it's

not detecting my DVD burner.  Only after opening another Premiere project to

burn did it pick up my DVD burner.  When I went into the project that's

creating the problem, and it had detected my DVD burner, I thought I would

be able to burn it.  It came up with an error after only transcoding 2

percent.  It won't allow me to burn into a folder, either.??????????

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing

I really have no further solutions for you, Fabfen.

You can try Adobe's troubleshooting tips and they may be helpful.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/514/cpsid_51427.html

Otherwise, though, I'm sorry but, unless you can bring your computer by my house in Milwaukee, I'm not sure there's anything more I can do.

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing

BTW, you don't have an nVidia graphics card on your machine, do you?

Neale offers an interesting solution in this thread that seems to work!

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2360604#2360604

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
                            Fabfen1 Level 1

I think Milwaukee is a bit far from our place in Queensland, Australia!

Thanks for your help, though.  I think I might start the project again and

see what happens.  AAagh!!!!!

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 2 Crashing
                              Fabfen1 Level 1

I DO have an nVidia graphics card.  Will have a look at that thread.