2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 2:30 PM by Bob Trent

Fireworks or Dreamweaver to start the design process?

Bob Trent Level 1

Please advise which is the best application to use to start the design process a site,  from a code-illiterate print-designer's point of view - I assumed it would be Dreamweaver but read somewhere recently that I should start in Fireworks (which I always thought was more for creating optimised graphic web content).

As a print designer I use InDesign (with Photoshop and Illustrator) CS4 and would appreciate advice on the most logical and intuitive tool to use to start the job of designing a site with.

Once the design is approved I will get someone who knows what they're doing with HTML, CSS and PHP etc. to check it all over and do the tricky bits.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thank you.

PS - apologies if this is bad forum etiquette but I posted this question yesterday on the Web Design Forum but then thought this may be a more appropriate forum to post it.

• 1. Re: Fireworks or Dreamweaver to start the design process?
          pixlor Level 4

If you're a designer creating a new design, Fireworks is a great place to start. (I can't imagine trying to design in Dreamweaver, frankly.) If you're familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator, you could start with one of those applications, too, but Fireworks was built for the job.

However, Fireworks is not a coding tool. Like Photoshop, it has the ability to export HTML, but that functionality is intended for creating mockups, not live sites. After you have your site designed in Fireworks, you or someone else will want to use Dreamweaver to (re-)produce the design in code.

You can use Fireworks to set out your vertical grids, place header and navigations graphics, set place-holding text (remember that HTML text can be resized by users, so places for text blocks must be able to resize). And yes, Once you have your design, use Fireworks to slice that design and export the optimized graphics for your coder to use.

• 2. Re: Fireworks or Dreamweaver to start the design process?
            Bob Trent Level 1

Thank you. Much appreciated.