13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 4:27 PM by Barb__O

Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline

ShunnyBug

I am trying to create a movie that consists of multiple MPG clips. When I drag the clips to the Sceneline in the "Drag Next Clip Here" section, they combine with the first clip in the Sceneline. I cannot get the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th movie clips to be SEPARATE in the Sceneline, so that I can apply transitions between them.  Why is this happening?

• 1. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much better to work in timeline mode for this kind of thing, Shunny.

Switch over to Timeline mode and you'll see your clip stretched out across the timeline. Then, to slice the clip, just position the CTI (playhead) over the place you want to place a cut and then click the Scissors icon on the Monitor panel.

One word of warning, though. You're talking about placing a transition between your cuts. Note that, because transitions borrow a few frames after the old clip and a few frames before the new, when you apply a transition directly over a cut it may not show (depending on which transition you use). This is because you're just transitioning from a clip to itself essentially!

So be sure to trim back a second or so from each clip before you apply a transition between them.

• 2. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
            ShunnyBug Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply Steve.  I am not trying to "slice" a single clip -- I'm trying to add additional movies to the Sceneline (or Timeline). I used to be able to do this with the much easier to use Sceneline. For some reason, this project is not allowing me to drag additinal movies to the Sceneline.

• 3. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
              Barb__O Level 4

I suggest that you post

-- make and model of camcorder and which format recording options you chose

-- which version of Premiere Elements

-- what is the type of project setting for ths Premiere Elements project

-- please do switch to the Timeline and look, what is the track number where your video clips are? Is it a track higher than 1?

Steve, I am asking these questions because the stacking in the Sceneline of mpg clips always makes me think of the Sony camcorders which record standard definition mpeg-2 with 5.1 audio - that is because my family has such a camcorder. Of course this could be an entirely different problem but it seems worth confirming or eliminating my suspicion.

• 4. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                ShunnyBug Level 1

Hi Barb.  Thanks for trying to help.  Here are answers to your questions:

• Camera is a Sony Handycam HDR-XR500 (an AVCHD model)
                • These videos were shot at SD (not in high def).
                • I am using Premiere Elements 7
                • The Project Settings (though everything is grayed out) says Editing Mode: DV NTSC.  Capture Format is DV Capture.  I'm not familiar with choosing Project Settings. What else would you need to know from this screen?
                • In the Timeline, the videos that I have dragged into position are showing as Video 5, Video 6 and Video 7.
                • 5. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your project is probably not set up for 5.1 audio. When your project isn't set up for it, your video tracks are not added in sequence to video 1, and therefore do not show up in Sceneline mode. There's more information in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/471666?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                    Barb__O Level 4
                    • Camera is a Sony Handycam HDR-XR500 (an AVCHD model)
                    • These videos were shot at SD (not in high def).

If the video files that you are currently adding to your project are AVCHD, the you should start a new Premiere Elements project and when you are creating that project choose the project tpye of AVCHD with 5.1 audio as Steve referenced.

However, since you shot in SD, I suspect that you have an MPEG2-5.1 audio file and PE does not have a project settiing that exactly matches. I used the SD Hard Drive Camcorder project setting.

• I am using Premiere Elements 7

I think that version 7 is the only version that throws this type of video up to the higher numbered tracks. This did not happen to me with PE 3.

• The Project Settings (though everything is grayed out) says Editing Mode: DV NTSC.  Capture Format is DV Capture.  I'm not familiar with choosing Project Settings. What else would you need to know from this screen?

See my notes above about making a new PE project and choosing the project settings.

• In the Timeline, the videos that I have dragged into position are showing as Video 5, Video 6 and Video 7.

If you do need to work with MPEG-2/5.1 audio files in PE 7 and you really hate the higher video tracks there are some workarounds but none are perfect.

1 -- You can convert your files to Dv-AVI format: I was able to do this conversion with PE 7 and then make a new PE project where I used those DV-AVI files: others perfer MPEG Streamclip for converting from MPEG to Dv-AVI.  See this forums FAQ at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

2 -- There are some workarounds of deleting any currently unused tracks and dragging the video to lower tracks (maybe you can get the video to track 1 and have the audio on a higher track). Or the potentially risky hacking the PE project file.  I can find a link to some prior discussion if all else is not a good solution for you.

• 7. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                      Barb__O Level 4

I thought of one additional possibility

With SOME camcorder models the Sony software included a program that could convert the 5.1 audio of the Sony MPG2 video to stereo audio.

IF the software disc that came with your camcorder included such software then If your SD videos are MPEG2 (instead of AVCHD), you could probably convert the audio with the Sony program and then use the MPEG2 with stereo audio result in Premiere Elements 7 as just a normal SD video that can be placed on video&audio track 1 and viewed in the Sceneline. I can't give you a definitive answer because our camcorder did not have that software.

• 8. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                        i_dream_of_jeannie

Hi Shunny,

Since you mentioned that the videos on your timeline are shown on Video 5, 6 and so on, that is the reason why they are not shown on the Sceneline.

The Sceneline just shows the clips from the V1/A1 track. It is meant for only for simplified editing.

Let us know if your problem is resolved or not.

• 9. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                          ShunnyBug Level 1

Thanks everyone.  This sound conversion thing seems like a complicated problem for a newbie like me.  Maybe I'd be better off just shooting in AVCHD so that the audio is supported. I was just trying to save file size and resources on my laptop computer by shooting in Standard Def.  Most of my projects don't need sound at all, since they're just showing our equipment in operation and there's only icky background noise of the machine working.

For this SD project, I dragged all of the separate clips in the Timeline to follow each other in the Video 3 track.  I then deleted the Audio track and made a nice quality QuickTime movie that was only 6.2mb for 55 seconds.  Would it help the sound problem if I set the video camera to not record any sound? I don't know if that's possible on this camera.

Shelly

• 10. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Shelly,

Sorry I got into your thread so late, so I will not restate (too much) the Sceneline issues related to using video with 5.1 channel audio. We recognized this Premiere Elements 7 problem for AVCHD 5.1 channel sound (related to incorrect project preset) as well as for MPEG-2 5.1 channel (which could not be remedied by using the correct project preset and you had to use the Timeline instead of the Sceneline View with content on upper tracks).

Just a few comments,

a. even if the video and audio were to place on video track 1/audio track 1, Premiere Elements 7, including the latest version 8, will export Dolby Digital Stereo even if you import Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound.

b. The latest version of Premiere Elements (version 8) does not handle the 5.1 channel audio import the way Premiere Elements 7 does. For example,  if your Premiere Elements 8 project preset (new project dialog) were NTSC or PAL DV Standard or Widescreen and you were to import your MPEG2 video with 5.1 channel sound into Premiere Elements 8, video could be placed on video track 1 and audio on audio track 1. And, you could use the Timeline or Sceneline view, depending on your preference. Would this be a significant reason for you to upgrade to Premiere Elements 8?

c. When I first commented on this some time ago, I spoke to a Sony rep about converting from 5.1 channel to Stereo in their camcorders. No way was the response. So, conversion of the MPEG2 5.1 channel became an attractive alternative to convert the MPEG2 to DV AVI and the audio to Stereo.

http://www.squared5.com/

It is easy and offers a free route. And, step by step details can be supplied.

But, it is best to check with Sony about any bundled conversion software that would handle audio conversion as well as disabling audio recording in the camcorder. I suspect that neither is an option in your case, but...

If you decided to go the AVCHD route, you will probably end up with file conversion anyway because of computer resource issues. Check out Steve Grisetti's FAQ on converting AVCHD into a more workable format.

A lot to be considered. But, do keep an eye on system resources.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                              ShunnyBug Level 1

Thank you ATR.  Another very helpful response from this forum.  :-)  In response to item A below, the type of sound format that is imported to or exported from this program does not matter to me.  I didn't even know there is a difference between "Dolby Digital 5.1" and "Dolby Digital Stereo".  Seems like Premiere should be able to automatically detect what's on the camera and work with it.  I just want a simple, fast way to edit video files -- and hopefully that can be in SD format to conserve system resources on my laptop (which I know is not meant for video editing).  If I understand your item B below, the easiest thing to do would be to upgrade to Premiere Elements 8 and continue shooting in SD, Dolby 5.1?  If so, that's an easy fix without having to worry about all this sound conversion stuff.

Shelly

• 12. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Shelly,

Upgrading to Premiere Elements 8 is a good idea for your situation IF

a. You go the free 30 tryout route before you purchase to determine how the program performs for your tasks in your specific computer environment.

Although the forums are full of Premiere Elements 8 issues, I have had good success with the tryout as well as the purchased copy that I received the other day. There are some new features that I prefer to leave disabled, but that is another one of my long stories.

You do not have to uninstall your Premiere Elements 7 to install the tryout. Just do not use the two at the same time. This new version takes up more computer space than previous versions, so just check out your free hard drive space and make sure that your computer is defragmented and otherwise optimized. The latter are good ideas for whatever version that you have.

The following is a link to my Premiere Elements 8 First Look Thread, probably more than you want to know. But I will post it just in case.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/497028?tstart=210

Please keep us advised about your progress.

ATR

(With the holidays approaching, look for the best price if you decide you want to purchase a copy from Adobe or Retailer)

• 13. Re: Can't Separate Movies in Sceneline
                                  Barb__O Level 4

ShunnyBug wrote:

Most of my projects don't need sound at all, since they're just showing our equipment in operation and there's only icky background noise of the machine working.

For this SD project, I dragged all of the separate clips in the Timeline to follow each other in the Video 3 track.  I then deleted the Audio track and made a nice quality QuickTime movie that was only 6.2mb for 55 seconds.  Would it help the sound problem if I set the video camera to not record any sound? I don't know if that's possible on this camera.

Shelly

Since we don't know if you wil be able to set the camera to not record any audio track, here is another suggestion to expand on what you have already done using Premiere Elements 7.

1 --As described in the prior post, you placed your video clips on Track 3 and deleted the Audio Track and since that worked for you, that of course is an option.  .

2 -- As an addition to that process, I noticed that using Premiere Elements 7, after deleting the audio track from my Sony SD MPEG-2/5.1 clips, I was able to drag those clips down to track 1 and use the Sceneline with individual thumbnails for each clips.

These choices give you alternatives to use Premiere Elements 7 now.

It is unfortunate that you are starting with Premiere Elements 7 because it is the version that makes it more difficut to use the SD video with 5.1 audio.However, It can be done and you have some advantage because you don't need the audio .

Personally, I don't feel the need to upgrade to version 8 to escape from this version 7 difficulty with my family's Sony SD video with 5.1 audio, so I am not recommending that others upgrade for that purpose. Instead I suggest that the decison to upgrade should be made on an overalll evaluation of the new version and a good understanding of the hardware configuration requred to run that version.