2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2009 11:03 AM by Lost In My Mind

ReStabalizing

Lost In My Mind Level 1

I have some footage that I stabalized, and it's 95% better. Would it hurt anything to now stabalize that footage to get it to 100%? In other words, is stabalizing footage non-destructive and loseless? Thanks.

• 1. Re: ReStabalizing
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In other words, is stabalizing footage non-destructive and loseless?

That entirely depends on the footage and how you use it. It would be mostly lossless, if the footage is progressive, not interlaced, not compressed and you do not scale it to compensate. You still get slight interpolation on rotated pixels, though. Everything else is bound to lose even more pixel information, even if you take all the necessary precautions like deartifacting and deinterlacing first. It always comes down to one simple thing: Any transform that is not a perfect 90 degree rotation or a linear offset, requires resampling, ultimately reducing the visual quality due to interpolation. So often getting one thing perfect can roin it on other ends. that aside, excessive stabilization has a tendency to look unnatural, which is something you do not want. That's why shakiness is often re-introduced after e.g. masking, set extensions etc. have been done. If you will, stabilizing many times is merely an intermediate step.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: ReStabalizing
            Lost In My Mind Level 1

Wow! I got schooled today Thanks for always being sooo willing to pass on all your knowledge and experience to others. Greatly appreciated. Cin