3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 1:14 PM by jrweinb

User Management & Authentication

jrweinb

I am looking for resources and best practices for user management and authentication in a flex program. There are absolutely no tutorials or resources through adobe or online through a google search.  I am looking to be able to have users login to my site built in flex and have the ability to "like" and bookmark articles. I would also like for the login to be secure and the user info to be stored in a mySQL database. Please help!

Jeff

• 1. Re: User Management & Authentication
          levancho Level 3

jrweinb01 wrote:

I am looking for resources and best practices for user management and authentication in a flex program. There are absolutely no tutorials or resources through adobe or online through a google search.  I am looking to be able to have users login to my site built in flex and have the ability to "like" and bookmark articles. I would also like for the login to be secure and the user info to be stored in a mySQL database. Please help!

Jeff

its like asking  Brick manufacturer to give you a  house  when you by bricks from them, 

all these is up to you, Flex does not prevent you from implementing  those feature anyway you like,

bookmarking articles - you can search for deep linking functionality in Flex.

also AjaxBridge might help.

Login to be secured - again its totaly up to you how you write it, and what serverside technologies you use.

you can also look into sharedObjects -for example this is good article:

http://flexonblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/using-sharedobjects-for-cookies-in-flex/

mySQL- has nothing to do with Flex, there is a middle tier between flex and MSQL (at least) which most of the time is serverside Language, like Java, ,Net, php etc.. and you can talk to them using flex Services, simples one is HTTPService (do search on that).

Kind Regards

Levan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: User Management & Authentication
            jrweinb Level 1

Thank you Levan for your reply. Let me explain my site a bit better to you - it is essentially an online magazine. The backend is mySQL and the middle tier is coldfusion. The core of the site is basically an extended list so that it looks nothing like a list but can still support data paging, with the categories being handled by sort queries on the database. The coldfusion and mySQL allows for some cool features such as live sorting by date, tags, etc. The next phase of this project is to add user interaction such as "liking" an article and bookmarking their favorite articles. I want to build the mechanisms for this into the list item renderers (remember - the site actually looks nothing like a list).

What I am looking for is just some best practices - I am confident that I can build the database and the coldfusion code, I just want some direction as I have never done this before.  How do people typically handle user accounts and authentication? Are there any standardized approachs or libraries available? Are there any really good books or articles out there? I find it odd that there is no literature out there on this. Thank you so much.

Best,

Jeff

• 3. Re: User Management & Authentication
              jrweinb Level 1

Hello Levan,

Any idea on how to handle this? Any suggestions on resources would help. Even a brief explanation of how you have handled this.

Thanks

Jeff