13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 3:06 PM by Editor Naama

Crash problem

Editor Naama Level 1

Hello everyone,

I originally posted this in the creative suite forum, but seeing this post made me think that this is a good spot for my question as well:

I have a problem. I recently purchased and installed the creative suite production premium cs4. I have a few problems/questions:

1. While I was working on the premiere program on a stop motion animation with many jpeg photos, the program crashed a lot. I managed to finish the editing. On something less heavy, it may crash once in a while. I edited very short clips.

2. I wanted to try out the after effects program but it crashed when I used the dynamic link. It opened and then crashed.

3. I also tried to open Illustrator and after about 3 simple operations it crashed.

Clearly something is set in the wrong way. Maybe it's a memory problem. A few directions I thought of are:

a. I have Windows XP SP2 on my c drive. 3 GB RAM. Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80Ghz  My free space on my c drive is 3.19 GB. Is that enough? Would SP3 Solve any problems?

b. I installed the programs to a different partition than the operating system. Is that ok? Should I install windows again and differently?

c. My graphic card has been softmoded from Geforce to Quadro nvs 290. Could that be a problem?

I'm also thinking of buying the new windows 7.

Would that solve all of my problems? And while installing should I install it differently? With more space on drive c?

Does The creative suite work with the new windows 7?

Thank you very much for reading up to this point. Many thanks for any answers and it's very appreciated!

• 1. Re: Crash problem
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
          If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

You need at least TWO hard drives for video editing... that is two PHYSICAL drives, not one drive with partitions... partitions are HORRIBLE for video editing (and not much good for anything else, either, except STATIC backup files that you don't actually try to use)

Read my notes http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM for what I do

SD pictures should be no larger than 1000x750 or you WILL have problems

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crash problem
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Editor Naama wrote:

My free space on my c drive is 3.19 GB. Is that enough? Would SP3 Solve any problems?

c. My graphic card has been softmoded from Geforce to Quadro nvs 290. Could that be a problem?

I'm also thinking of buying the new windows 7.

Would that solve all of my problems? And while installing should I install it differently? With more space on drive c?

Does The creative suite work with the new windows 7?

As John said you definitely need more than one drive

If you do not have at least 50-60% free space on your C: drive you need to start over.

The general experience with older Quadro cards is bad, I have tried a FX1700 and got negative results

Windows 7 64 bit is an improvement but I doubt it would do much good with only 3 GB of RAM.  Premiere Pro CS4 works great with Windows 7, I cannot speak for the rest of the suite.

• 3. Re: Crash problem
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The crashes are caused by a combination of factors, that together bring your system to it's knees.

1. Like John and Bill said, below minimum disk requirements.

2. Fill rate on the disk causes a severe performance hit and instability, like a snail hitting the brakes before cornering.

3. Limited memory, especially when using many JPEG's

4. Limited CPU power.

5. A modded and outdated nVidia card.

It looks like time to use your savings for a new system. Look here for suggestions: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Crash problem
                Editor Naama Level 1

Harm,

I was just reading your articles about pc systems yesterday. I started to write notes. They are great and very extensive. I will sure have to research them more thoroughly. I started drowning in technical details.Thanks on behalf of all the readers for writing and posting them.

I think you are right, I was actually thinking of getting a new system. I thought of buying a laptop for editing. But as I started looking into it, because of the very high price, It seems that I'd have to get a simple laptop for minor editing and a new desktop as the main editing system. I want to have an option to edit HD in the future. Apparently, my desktop isn't enough. I have to finish a few jobs on my computer, and then, I might install it all over again leaving more space on c drive if I don't get a new system by then.

Maybe I should resize Jpegs first to an SD size before getting them into the editing system. It does make sense.

I bought my video card 2 years ago, it's a GeForce FX 8500GT -512 MB. I can softmod it back.

About the minimum requirements, I thought I was o.k.at least for SD video. Anyhow, in reality it doesn't work great, so I'll have to improve my system.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/systemreqs/

Thanks you for your answer! Now I have some homework

• 5. Re: Crash problem
                  Editor Naama Level 1

Thanks John,

My jpeg pictures are 1728 X1152. I probably should have resized them.

I will definately look into your links in depth,  Thank you. It will take me some time, and hopefully I'll post my results here.

I've learned from this forum that partitions are not recommended. I didn't know that. It's such a comfortable way to split the drive.

• 6. Re: Crash problem
                    Editor Naama Level 1

50-60% free space on drive c. Now I have a clue.Thanks Bill.

My video card is a Geforce FX 8500 GT 512 MB. It's two years old. Is that considered old?

My computer is older...maybe it needs to retire...

Perhaps I'll Move to windows 7 32 bit on this system or stay with XP.

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Crash problem
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

According to Adobe:

• Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing

with the emphasis on DEDICATED, in addition to the OS/program disk.

• 8. Re: Crash problem
                        Editor Naama Level 1

Oh! Now I see. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Crash problem
                          Editor Naama Level 1

I saw on one of Harm's articles that I should move the paging file from the OS. I heard of that before. So I have done that. I'm also organizing my computer hard drive, backing up stuff to DVD's. My free space on drive C went up from 3 GB to 4 GB and then some how now it's 6.5 GB.

I hope this will improve system performance.

• 10. Re: Crash problem
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Just to get a clear understanding of your C drive: What is the total capacity and what is your current free space? To give you some comparison: My C drive is 139 GB formatted and has 108 GB free with Win7 Pro 64, Adobe CS4 Master Collection, Audition CS3 and all my personal favorites installed, including Movie Looks, Movie Outline, Perfect Disk, SnagIt, DVD Profiler, Mobipocket Reader, Easy CD-DA Extractor, CCleaner, MPC, Scenalyzer, Nero, and the like. Of course without compression and indexing.

4-11-2009 17-24-17.jpg

• 11. Re: Crash problem
                              Editor Naama Level 1

Comparing to your settings, it's embarrassing to write mine...they're not anywhere near yours.

I have 17 GB on drive c which is a partition. It now has 6.37 GB free space. It only has the OS on it. I install programs including the Adobe creative suite (production premium) on a different drive (partition). I don't install anything else on drive c except for cheeky programs that won't let me choose where to install them...So other than the c drive partition I have three other partitions that are 44 GB each.

I haven't yet checked the program since I moved the paging file.

• 12. Re: Crash problem
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Partitioning does not bring you anything. It does not gain you extra disk space, it does not gain you added speed, there is no advantage in partitioning, apart from the easier housekeeping and organizing of disk content for the disorganized among us. It does bring several disadvantages as spelled out in the Storage guide, look here under the second item: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

Where the gains are is in having different PHYSICAL disks, preferably 3 or more.

• 13. Re: Crash problem
                                  Editor Naama Level 1

I saw your articles and I think they are very helpful. I plan to print and marker them for my research in order to buy my future computer.

I've learned here that partitions are not so good. Hopefully, when I'll put together a new computer it will have more physical drives. But in the meantime, until I make my  research and decisions for a new computer, that's what I have.

Thank you very much for your help.