25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 11:43 AM by HDAlf

YouTube in HD

TheShamsMan

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on line and haven't really been able to find a conslusive way to upload into YouTube in HD. There are a lot of stuff on embedding and outdated software methods that are one by one getting blocked by YouTube.

I was wondering if anyone here uploads into YouTube often. And what is the best method to maintain maximum quality on YouTube.

A friend of mine keeps telling me that there are HD options while uploading the file, but I don't see anything and after my 1080p video was uploaded, it looked like total crap.

Appreciate the help!

• 1. Re: YouTube in HD
          dradeke Adobe Employee
          And what is the best method to maintain maximum quality on YouTube.

Use the YouTube presets contained in the H.264 family of presets in the Adobe Media Encoder.  The final output file does not require any transcoding in the YouTube system.

Hope this helps,

Dennis

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: YouTube in HD
            TheShamsMan Level 1

As mp4s?

• 3. Re: YouTube in HD
              dradeke Adobe Employee

Yes.  Try it.

• 4. Re: YouTube in HD
                TheShamsMan Level 1

Hey. Thanks for the advise. It is certainly a very quick and easy way to do it with relatively minimal loss. I have though, seen better quality YouTube video from a lesser camera.

Is there maybe a different file format that might be better?

The file from the lesser camera took hours to upload. Mine in mp4 took like 20 minutes. (Taking into consideration the difference in duration of course)

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: YouTube in HD
                  TheShamsMan Level 1

Now that YouTube supports 1080p videos, is there a new file format best for preserving the 1080p quality? Has the H264 codecs been modified for the new support?

Thanks!

• 6. Re: YouTube in HD
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find that wmvHD (720p) gives superb quality on YouTube.

• 7. Re: YouTube in HD
                      TheShamsMan Level 1

Is there a format where the 1080p video is utilized?

• 8. Re: YouTube in HD

You could change the settings in the YouTube widescreen HD preset or choose for HDTV1080p.

I tried the latter for PAL and it came out all choppy on YT.

• 9. Re: YouTube in HD
                          Matt Petersen Level 3

Like Ann, I've had great luck with WMV presets. If you have the appropriate resolution set, then try tinkering with the bitrate to try to find the "sweet spot".

Sorry for asking the obvious, but you are WATCHING your uploaded clips in HD, right?? I know a few of my HD uploads look awful at the standard, "default" size.

Also, when it comes to YouTube, you have to be willing to experiment. They tinker with their encoding all the time to make it better/faster, so you just have to keep an open mind about it and be willing to change your process once in a while.

In terms of options - and it's been a few months since I've done it - I think YT just "figures out" that it's a HD file and makes the appropriate HD/SD choices available to the user. I don't recall there being HD options at the upload point per se.

One LAST thing: often the HD encoding takes much longer than the standard encoding, and you might have to wait a night for the little red HD icon to appear at the bottom right of your video.

MP

• 10. Re: YouTube in HD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            The final output file does not require any transcoding in the YouTube system.

Dennis,

I was under the impression that YouTube did a re-Transcode for everything uploaded. Since I trust you, it seems that I have been mis-informed. I assume that "does not require any transcoding" means that YouTube will NOT transcode as normal procedure. Is that correct?

Thank you for that clarification.

Hunt

• 11. Re: YouTube in HD
                              Matt Petersen Level 3

That would be an interesting experiment to upload a H.264, then use something like keepvid to download the YT HQ file, and compare the two alongside each in other in Super or G-Spot.

MP

• 12. Re: YouTube in HD
                                dradeke Adobe Employee

Hunt,

That's my undestanding - I could be wrong and will double check for you.

Dennis

• 13. Re: YouTube in HD
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Update - the Youtube DOES transcode initially to make an SD version.  The untranscoded HD version becomes available about an hour later.

• 14. Re: YouTube in HD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dennis,

Your input is valuable. Obviously, my sources were either wrong, or did not take HD uploads into account.

As there are so often questions on YouTube uploads, this is very helpful.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 15. Re: YouTube in HD

I tried H264 and it was very choppy and had artifacts so i went back to wmvHD.

This was abuout 2 weeks ago, maybe it has improved.

• 16. Re: YouTube in HD
                                        TheShamsMan Level 1

The best format I've found so far is MPEG2 with the 1080p HD settings. The output file is usually very large, but it's been consistant.

Has anyone heard a 1080p H264 format for YouTube? The existing one in Encoder is locked at 720p, and I'm unable to change it.

• 17. Re: YouTube in HD

See post 8.

• 18. Re: YouTube in HD
                                            Tim Flippance Level 1

You Tube's own spec for best results says they accept H.264, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, but in AME the You Tube presets are only available for H.264 (is my version of AME out of date?)

You Tube widescreen HD is 1280 x 720p, but if you change it from NTSC 24p to PAL 25p it switches to 720 x 576 and you can't get 1280 x 720p.

If you select MPEG-2 the You Tube presets are not available, but you can select HDTV 720p25 High Quality which gives you 1280 x 720p, but in the audio MP3 or AAC are not available, and You Tube say they only accept audio in MP3 or AAC.

So what should you use for HD in You Tube?

• 19. Re: YouTube in HD
                                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Tim Flippance wrote:

You Tube widescreen HD is 1280 x 720p, but if you change it from NTSC 24p to PAL 25p it switches to 720 x 576 and you can't get 1280 x 720p.

Sure you can, raise the level to 4.1.

• 20. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks Ann

Has anyone else noticed the sound quality in You Tube using AAC is appalling - really distorted and horrible!

• 21. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                  ReneLaan

Hi,

I happend to do have some test done last week to see if my useual preset could be improved, but anything I tried, did made it better.

My sources (and project are PAL DV widescreen (16*9, 1.4 pixel rate)

This is what I use:

Windows Media

Frame size 1280*720

Frame rate 25

Square Pixels!

Average Bitrate 1500

Audio windows Media Audio 9.2

Format 160kbps 44 kHz.

That works fine and gives normally good result. As my sources (old camera's) are not in HD, the Youtube is also not HD quality but HD is available with this setting.

I do a lot og multicam editting and if the sound is just one frame out of sync, which you normally only hear as a small echo, the re-encoding of Youtube makes it terrible to hear, as if you listening in a tin can.

See and hear for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/user/ReneLaan

• 22. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                    Tim Flippance Level 1

I managed to do it with 1280x720p25 after an update

Interestingly You Tube must have done some reprocessing on the sound as it has improved enormously since yesterday, the horrible distortion has gone.

• 23. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                      SpareWheel Level 2

Hi.

Many people forget to give YouTube time to process.

Once you've uploaded, and it says "Live" you instinctively take a look and it often looks like sh*t. Give it at least 15 minutes to process the HD - you should begin to see it come good.

Even better, upload, go away and check your uploaded video in 20-30 minutes. Then make the judgement.

I wasted many hours uploading, checking the uploaded video only to see pixelated rubbish as soon as the upload was completed and then deleting the video thinking some error existed.

• 24. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I can see where that would be very sage advice. All too often, many of us are impatient.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 25. Re: YouTube in HD
                                                          HDAlf

Hi everyone:

Here's some info as an FYI.

I've created about 100 videos successfully with PE4 and uploaded them to YouTube over the last few years, using both SD and HD video from a Canon HV20 1080i videocam.

When I was using PE4, I saved them as .avi files and then processed with DivX and it works out well, but was 720p (which, for YouTube purposes, seemed fine).

Although the resolution isn't as good as I can see on my monitor, YouTube has come a long way since I first started posting videos for my website a couple of years ago, back before there was such a thing as YouTube HD.

I just now posted my first HD 1080i video edited with PE8.  I tried various methods with PE8, and ended up saving it as the MPEG H.264 1440x1080i selection.  This saves it as a weird .m2t file (AVCHD) but DivX would not process the audio for that.  The reason I say "weird" is because I started out with an .avi file out of the Canon camera and PE8 ends up processing it as AVCHD, which I think is strange, but who knows...

So to convert it, first I had to download the free AC3 audio codec from DivX, installed it (very easy to do) and used the DivX converter.  The video now looks good, not quite as good as the "raw" quality, but the raw .m2t file was 600MB and the DivX converted file is only 39MB, much easier to save and very quick to upload to YouTube.  My experience has been that YouTube likes DivX format quite a bit, and DivX works very well with PE, and I've had very good luck using it to post-process many dozens of videos.

Note that I tried to upload the .m2t file to YouTube but it would not process after several hours, even though it's only about 3 minutes long.  So I deleted it and then went the DivX route.  DivX would not convert the .wmv format out of PE8 or either of the .avi formats for some reason.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post the YouTube link to the video so you can see the quality, so I won't at this point.  But hope this info helps. I'll continue to explore PE8 options, and I may try the PE8 direct upload to YouTube feature to see how that works. I wish I could see the specs on what Adobe is using for that, but there's no "Advanced" link to see. I see there is also a PE8 advanced option to use the DivX codec directly which may help me skip a step.

Cheers.....