11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2009 6:32 AM by dsALJKalsk

PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)

smetlogik2 Level 1

Trying to capture video I recorded in HD from my HV20 using HDVSplit.  Purpose is to upload video to YouTube and have it show as HD.  

I can capture video with HDVSplit, but my question is, do I just use the Get Media>From Files and Folders in PE4 to bring video over?  I tried that, exported the vid and uploaded to YouTube, but didn't really notice any quality difference from my DV captures.

I guess one other question?  Besides being able to capture HD vid, are there any other advantages to capturing with HDVSplit and then using PE4 to edit?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rob

• 1. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Got lots of thoughts, Rob. Which one do you want?

Yes, you just use Get Media/PC Files and Folders to browse for your captured video.

You may not see a big difference between using HD and using standard video when you output to YouTube because, to be frank, YouTube pretty much crappifies everything you put up there! That's the nature of being the most successful video site in the world. You have to keep re-encoding videos that are loaded to it in order to make room for it all.

You're not, after all, going to get hi-def video on YouTube.

About the best you can do is optimize your files as much as possible and hope for the best. Here are some settings other users on the forum have found give them pretty good results.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390608?tstart=0

• 2. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
            dsALJKalsk

I have had trouble of all kinds getting ANYTHING from my canon hv20. Can someone help? The explanation of the problem is in the attached file.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
              dsALJKalsk Level 1

which I couldn't attach for some reason....

I have tried Sony Vegas 7, HDVsplit, Adobe Premiere CS3 and CS4, Windows Movie Maker and two other free-ware programs at home.

I have changed the settings in the software from hd settings, hdv settings, and ntsc settings.

I have tried a PC using Vista and two other ones using Windows XP SP2.

I have tried two different cables a 4-pin firewire one and a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire one.

I have spent over 17 hours in 2 days trying to get any of these things in different variations to work.

Can anybody walk me through capturing a video from a canon hv20. I am at wits end.

• 4. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)

Hard to say what you're doing wrong without knowing what you're doing, d.

It should be as simple as plugging the HV20 into your computer via a FireWire connection. Windows should recognize the connection with a "bing bong" and indicating it with a little camcorder icon on your task bar. (Does it?) It may also offer you a list of programs to capture with. (Does it?)

If it does, you're in, and you should be able to use Premiere Elements or HDV split to capture your video. (Assuming you're capturing in HDV and not using DV Lock to capture in standard definition.) I don't believe MovieMaker can capture HDV.

• 5. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                  dsALJKalsk Level 1

Yes, I hear the bing bong and it

does give me options, and I have tried to capture the video using all of these options.

In actuality, I was somewhat sucessful in capturing a video through Premiere CS4, however, it asked me to locate a .mp4 file even though I had opened a .propj or something like that (whatever the file extension is for adobe premiere.) I have used Premiere in the past but never to capture a video, and I never had this happen to me before so I am not really sure what the next step is.

I have the Premiere file but when opened, it asks me to locate the.mp4 file even though I don't have one...

• 6. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)

I'm sorry. I'm not sure what is going on.

• 7. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Is the "missing" MP4 one of the files that was Captured, or is it an Imported Asset?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                        dsALJKalsk Level 1

That's just it, there is no mp4 file. The only file I got from capturing the video was the.prjpro or whatever it is from adobe premiere.

I talked to another adobe professional as well, and she said that I need the actual video camera I shot it with in order to edit it, which seems ludicrous to me since I already captured and saved the thing to a disk drive. That same disk drive is plugged into the computer as I sit here and type and every other file from every other software project I use works fine with it. Even the slideshow I made totally in Premiere works fine so I am wondering if the program had a hiccup when the video was being captured. All I know is that I cannot reshoot this video.

I will try to re-capture the video using the same camera and see if that makes a difference. I will let you guys know.

• 9. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          That's just it, there is no mp4 file. The only file I got from capturing the video was the.prjpro or whatever it is from adobe premiere.

In PrE, the Project file is a .PREL. This ARTICLE will give you some details on the Project file, plus discuss what you're Saving, when you Save the Project.

When on has Captured footage from a camera, there will be media files, located where the user has directed the program to place them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                            dsALJKalsk Level 1

But to answer your question I am guessing the mp4 file was part of the captured footage, but I don't know for certain.

• 11. Re: PE4 & HDVSplit (HV20)
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I am guessing the mp4 file was part of the captured footage

From a Canon HD video camera, that would be likely. Can you navigate to that file in Windows Explorer/My Computer?

Good luck,

Hunt